"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands........" 1 Thessalonians 4:11

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Walking in wildflowers with Sophie

This time of year, our acreage comes to life in bursts of color in hues of yellow, purple, red, orange, and white from all of the wildflowers. One can smell a sweet fragrance in the wind from all of these together .
Sophie is telling me to stop taking pictures and start walking!
She loves to go tromping through the fields, sniffing and nibbling as she goes.
I love the ox-eyed daisy. It grows in clusters all over the grounds.


Sophie likes to smell and taste anything that is offered to hear. She looks like she is smiling, doesn't she? .

I have walked every part of our property year after year, and I am always amazed to find another new flower that I did not spot the year before. I have never seen a flower like this. Do any of you have an idea of what it might be? There is no fragrance, however, the ants were all over the petals. It's not a drop from an envelope of flowers that I have planted. It is about 2 acres from our house.

I love blanket flower. Their colors are so warm and cheery. These look a little tired as the wind has just about beat them down .

Daises of any kind are always so cheery!



This big cluster of different wildflowers was underneath a large mesquite tree. So pretty when they are bunched up together. So now, what kind of flowers do you have growing wild in your fields. What is your favorite? I wold love to see the pictures!












6 comments:

Jen's Farmily said...

I like the blanket flower too... and the mystery flower is very interesting looking!

Don't you love spring?

LindaSue said...

Antelope horn - of the milkweed family - bloos march through August - almost all species of the genus asclepiadaceae considered very poisonous - I have a beautiful little field guide to Texas Wildflowers and "loves me a challenge!"

LindaSue said...

I got too excited about actually knowing something for a change and of course I meant to say it blooms March through August. Love wildflowers - our favorite is the wine cup

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Thanks Lindasue, if it is poisonous, I will leave it where it is. Blessings, Kathleen

Farmhouse Blessings said...

Don't you just love flowers that appear out of nowhere just to make us smile? I have a bunch of new ones growing right out in the middle of a torn up construction site. I dug them up and brought them closer to home and they bring such joy!

Blessings,
Lea

Connie said...

Hi Kathleen! I am from Ohio and have John Denver listed as music I like in my blog profile. I clicked on the link to find others who like his music, which led me to your blog. What a delight! I enjoyed reading it very much. I especially liked seeing the flower photos, your scarecrow, and all your sweet animal pictures. Looks like you have your hands full there! Hope you have a wonderful day! I'll be back to visit again soon and you're welcome to visit my blog anytime if you are interested. :-D