"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands........" 1 Thessalonians 4:11

Monday, April 7, 2008

Rattlesnakes, bobcats, and coyotes


What a weekend! Over the span of just two days, I have lost 2 ducks, and one laying hen, to now what I suspect to be a bobcat. Several areas around us has either lost trees due to farmers clearing the land, or lately, wildfires have been a problem because of extreme dry conditions. Because of this, predators have been moved out of their homes and have moved closer to our woods. The fact that we have a plentiful supply of water also draws them to us. To add the topping to the cake, Noah, one of our cats, got bitten by a rattlesnake. He has been so swollen and sick the past couple of days. I have been force feeding him water and food. Yesterday, he finally started eating and drinking on his on. Today he managed to go out onto the porch and spent the day napping in the coolness. I am so glad he pulled through. As for my little feathered friends, we re-enforced fences and doors and hopefully, Sophie will sound off an alarm if she hears them. It's the time of year where we have to stay on our toes and be extremely careful of every thing around us.

9 comments:

Julie said...

Kathleen,
I'm so sorry to hear of your losses. We had a panther in our woods (where I grew up -- I was about 15 when it showed up.)
Oh my goodness! It was soooooooo scary. The game warden said he couldn't figure out how it got in our area (being that they aren't indigenous to Louisiana) but our dogs were so scared they hid under the house!
Your poor ducks and hen just couldn't protect themselves. Y'all be careful, too!
I'll be praying that y'all get some rain, too!
Blessings,
Julie

Farmhouse Blessings said...

I just hate when that happens. It makes me so sad. We've have some difficulty with coyotes & bobcats here too recently. I won't even go outside at night now because I can hear the coyote packs really close to our home. So you be careful as well!

Blessings,
Lea

Yesteryear Embroideries said...

Hi Julie and lea. It can be scary living out this far sometimes, but after living in town, in a horrible neighborhood, this is a much better trade off. LOL. It is so good to have you stop by! I will visit you soon! blessings, Kathleen

Jen's Farmily said...

I'm sorry to hear about your losses also... but I'm glad that your cat is pulling through. I guess he lost the battle vs. the rattlesnake. *shudder*

chickengirl said...

I hope your cat gets better. We once met a couple who had found a dog in a campground, and one night, he was shreaking in pain. He'd been bitten be a copperhead on his tail, but lived to tell the story! We got to meet the dog (who was named Copper) and he was perfectly fine! Maybe your cat will do the same.

Linda said...

It has been a rough few days for you all. I'm glad Noah is doing better and continues to improve.
I'm loving your music on both of your blogs.....Welcome To My World just made want to get up and dance. Hugs and blessings...Linda

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Thanks girls, Noah is doing fine, back to purring, and the chicks and ducks get tucked in safely at night and so far have been safe. Thanks for stopping by and for your sweet comments. Blessings, Kathleen

Paula said...

Oh, no Kathleen- you didn't lose Anabelle, too, did you?
I'm so sorry you're having a tough time with predators right now...it makes you feel like pulling your hair out with worry.

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Hi Paula, no Annabelle is still doing fine, but misses Jasper. She will not accept the other drakes. I lost a little black duck named Charlie, and a good laying hen, named Claudia. Our hen house was secure, but this thing whatever it was, tore open the door and raided the hen house. We have a very secure door up now, or at least we are hoping so. Thanks for dropping by, blessigs, Kathleen