"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands........" 1 Thessalonians 4:11

Sunday, September 8, 2024

My personal new year has recently started........

 
well.......that's what I like to call it.  I always feel that a birthday is a new year, filled with hope, given to a person to explore, live, and enjoy each new day that comes along. We hope it will be a complete full year, yet we are never promised tomorrow......just the day we have at hand.
With that being said, I have decided to spend each day this year.....seeking out some kind of joy.
Whether that day is good, bad, sad, uncertain......freezing, extremely hot, or pleasant with each hour, 
I am going to seek the joy in something about that day.  
I started off the first days of my new year pumpkin shopping.
The joy these wonderful globes give to me each year at this time needs no explanation to anyone who sees them. 
I decorated the porches...
and just these few ......brought me joy.
another source of joy........I do not mention much......
is my vintage shop where I sell vintage dishware, glassware, and embroidered linens.
(in photo: Homer Laughlin Blue Dawn 1948)
My shop sits out on our property and it is very rural........there is never much traffic that drives by.
I always need to post on social media and leave boxes with signs that have printed arrows along the main road to lead customers to my shop. For anyone who is interested in lovely dishes and such
you can visit my Facebook page to see more at this link 
Drops of joy.....rain.....came to us this whole past week.  It rained solidly for 2 days causing much of our roads to flood.  Much of Texas actually got this much needed moisture.
Now the flowers are still in bloom
Their colors bring much joy.
The moss on the old crooked mesquite trees always shows up so much better when wet.
up from the ground other surprises emerge.......this mushroom looked like this 3 days ago
Imagine my joy and wonder when today, it looked like this!
Another source of joy is the wild birds that come along to feed...... There is not a day that isn't filled with the sound and song of wild birds around our home. Throughout the year they come in different shapes, colors and sizes.  Some live here naturally, some fly in with storms and soon fly away. 
This group of quail have held my attention for the past 2 months
I counted 27 in this group.
When they first appeared......the mother was in the front.......leading a long line of little feathered babies that looked like the size of ping pong balls......and the father kept at the back of the line.
As you can see, they have all grown well.  They come quietly and leave just as quietly and quickly.
Another source of joy is my sewing/embroidery.  After a day of cooking, cleaning, and doing whatever it is that needs doing, I find joy in retreating to my creative corner to stitch the late afternoon hours away.  
I hope this finds that you are having pleasant days filled with your own kind of joy.










































 

15 comments:

Marie Smith said...

Finding joy in life makes me happy. I wish the same for you this new year!

Elephant's Child said...

Hooray for joy. And beauty - both of which you have shared with us in abundance.

Boud said...

Happy birthday! Celebrate all year.

Julia said...

Happy Birthday. That cake looks delicious. Finding joy is such a gift. A joyful heart is a happy and thankful heart.
Hugs, Julia

Prims By The Water said...

Happy birthday! Hope each day is filled how you want to fill it. Janice

Dianna said...

I so enjoyed my visit here. It was so relaxing. Happy Birthday!

Granny Marigold said...

Happy Birthday💗. I hope the coming year will be filled with many many happy hours.
Quail are so cute as they travel along with the babies neatly in a row. Here in B.C. we have California Quail who manage to survive our winters by cuddling close together for warmth.
Your pumpkin arrangements look good and make me want to go out and buy some of my own :)

Bill said...

I enjoyed visiting here, such a nice post. I hope you had a wonderful and joyful birthday and wish you many more. Thanks for the visit and have a great week.

Rose said...

Happy Birthday! I need to look at it the way you do. I tend to think I am just a day older than I was yesterday. This post just filled me with joy...so many interesting and fun things I do not know where to begin. I love your porches...I love pumpkins. I love that mesquite tree...and of course I LOVE the mushroom. They always fascinate me. If I knew, I had forgot you had another blog. So glad you commented using it. It is one I will enjoy.

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Joy is the juice that fills our tanks for the journey! And you, for sure, have lots of things to fill your tank with joy. Happy New Year!

Bonnie K said...

Love the quail. They are such wonderful little birds. I love the little shop. It would be hard to let some of those things go.

Mary, Windy Meadows Farm said...

What a perfect post - you’re absolutely right, each new day is ours for the taking, we can make it whatever we want. Yes, some days are better than others, but I love your idea of taking joy and looking for joy regardless. And I love hearing about your vintage shop! I have so much glassware that’s been left to me by my mother-in-law we kept what was sentimental, there is so so much remaining. I would love to share it with people who would enjoy it and take care of it. Can you tell us a little bit more about your shop maybe give us a tour – give me some pointers?!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Happy Birthday (again) my friend and I think that the way you plan to celebrate this new year is a wonderful idea, finding joy. The birthday cake looked so good, Kathleen.

Stacy said...

I'd love to wander through your shop but I'm in California, actually I'd love to wander through your yard as well. It all looks so serene.

Mary D. said...

Love the swan. Lovely photos. Beautiful stitchery. Do you get many visitors to you fine china shop? Have a wonderful healthy year.