"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands........" 1 Thessalonians 4:11

Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Early one morning, while outside,

enjoying the quietness and beauty...............
I watched, with intrigue, a rabbit........
dashing, back and forth, with something
in it's mouth

I quietly got closer and could see it was gathering strings of weed and grass.



Mouthful after mouthful, several times, until it finally stopped
over the place it was carrying the assortment.

Later in the day, I quietly snuck up to the place where the rabbit
had been placing the weeds, to discover a small nest
it had made for itself underneath a group of wildflowers. 

Weeks have passed, and yesterday I went once again, to check
and was wonderfully surprised to see a nest of baby rabbits.

A couple of weeks ago, we had non stop harsh 
wind and dirt blowing for days. 

The dirt covered everything in sight and it took me 
days to rinse it all off.   Just something that 
is a "normal" here in Texas.
We have been getting an unusual amount of rain now, 
and the change from dirt to moisture is wonderful.

I have decided to try container gardening this year. 
So far, the containers have proven less work with weeding 
and less attacks from pests.
Although at the moment, my garden looks pretty slim, 
If you look a little closer.........
you will find, .............


There are cucumbers, 

okra,

carrots,

tomatoes, 

which,  are already showing much goodness!

The lemon trees are starting to produce lemons.

I also planted gourds in a container to run up along the fence. 

The only thing I have in the ground is pumpkins.

My little pomegranate tree/bush is starting to leaf out well. 

My garden is in the far corner of the back yard and close enough to where 
I can happily
sit out and look upon it

Across from it is my greenhouse,

and to the side ,is the wonderful wild woods.

One of the pretty flowers that is currently blooming ,is 
the lantana bush.  I love it's clusters of pink and yellow flowers. 

This year I have a few that have grown up and done well. 
One in the back patio,

one in the front of the greenhouse, 

and one in the side greenhouse garden, 

and one very large one out in the front entry way. 
and all over the grounds.............where there is still remaining paddle cactus,
the blooms are brilliant in the bright sunshine........
June is here.........
It is the month of June, 
The month of leaves and roses, 
When pleasant sights salute the eyes 
and pleasant scents the noses.
Nathaniel Parker Willis

Wishing you calm and happy days !

16 comments:

Nancy J said...

Lantana, crush a leaf or two and that delightful aroma, I remember that from the one my Mum had when I was a child, Containers, a great way to go, this year, well when we get to late spring, my tomatoes will be in tubs, your way keeps those plants safe.And a bunny nest, pure joy.

Henny Penny said...

I love that you posted about the rabbit. The pictures are so good. How sweet seeing the babies in the nest. That look like a big rabbit, much bigger that the wild rabbits we have here. Looking closer, your plants in containers do look good! I have only two large containers, one with cucumbers and the other with Bee Balm. You have such a pretty place and I love your gardening spot.

Prims By The Water said...

How fun to have baby bunnies! I so love bunnies. Beautiful Lantana. I will have to check to see if it will grow here in MIchigan as a perennial. Janice

happyone said...

Oh everything looking great at your place.
I so enjoy sitting and watching the animals out back!!

Hill Top Post said...

What could be sweeter than finding a nest of darling baby rabbits. Momma Rabbit was quite creative with her work, no doubt. Your back garden area is such a nice place, and the plants are looking very well. I especially like your lantana bushes.

Granny Marigold said...

What good luck that you spied that rabbit gathering nesting material and were able to locate the nest. And the baby bunnies!! Good thing you're growing most of your vegetables in containers or the rabbits would be eating them. I imagine you have to do a lot of watering. That is not my favourite job but in the cool of the evening it's not too bad.

The Wykeham Observer said...

Coincidentally, I found a lantana plant at the Amish greenhouse today. Here in Minnesota we have to just treat it as an annual, but I like it anyway. I had a lot of them year-around when I lived in Florida. I like your container garden. I think you will be happy with the results. Everything looks so healthy! Thanks for your comments on my blog, which I hope to get going again soon. Phil

Faith said...

Love the bunny...I call them professor hossenfeffer when I see them around here. We are having a rainstorm, everything is getting well watered. The Lantan is so pretty.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

We always have a bunny nest in our fenced portion of the yard. It's where my pond is an necessary to fence the dogs out. But those little guys sometimes get where the dogs can get them. Sadly, my Min Pins are bread to catch rodents. We are making our pond area maintenance free as best we can. I'm 67 and just cannot keep up with the weeds. I guess our climate is changing because the past few years have brought record rain falls and it rains 4 days out of 7 now. I definitely put potted plants on the front deck.
xx, Carol

Connie said...

I enjoyed seeing your photos, Kathleen. Your flowers are lovely--I especially like the lantana you have growing.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

So enjoyed this photo visit through your backyard, Kathleen! How much fun to see the baby rabbits too and hope they will be safe from dangerous critters. What a ness you had cleaning up all that dirt, but as you said, it was nothing “new” still a lot if work😕

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

I love your garden. What delicious-looking vegetables. I also enjoyed very much the photos of the rabbits and baby rabbits. I hope the weather has improved now.

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

I love your garden. The vegetables look so good. I also love the bunny photos and the babies. I hope the weather has improved now.

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Everything looks wonderful, and how exciting to have baby rabbits! I always liked those lantanas. The flowers look like old fashioned bouquets.

Sally said...

Kathleen, you are a master of many arts. Love your photo's! I had forgotten about Lantana which does great here in FL. Maybe the grasshopper's won't like them; I'll have to get some!

My dad and oldest brother raised rabbits for a time all those long years ago. I remember close to one Easter, he (my brother) decided to try and sell a few bunnies. He got set up in front of the grocery store, did not sell one. You know why? He wouldn't look at the people, never said a word to anyone. When Mother asked him why he didn't try, he simply said he wanted to keep the bunnies. :)

xoxo

A Casa Madeira said...

Beautiful photos.
I loved knowing your blog.
janicce.