"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands........" 1 Thessalonians 4:11

Monday, January 24, 2011

Up until recently..........I have associated bread crumbs

with the children's story of Hansel and Gretel, leaving bread crumbs to find their way home, or with the saying....."we've been living on bread crumbs". All in all, bread crumbs left me with the impression that there was just not that much to them..........................however,
I first started baking with bread crumbs, when one summer , I was rewarded with a large harvest of garden tomatoes. I scoured through my cookbooks for all kinds of tomato recipes...............finding stuffed baked tomatoes................so delicious! This recipe called for the use of Italian breadcrumbs..............something I was not accustomed to, but managed to find in the store. I have made that recipe several times................one time forgetting the bread crumbs..........and finding out that this little insignificant ingredient carried a lot of flavor..........especially when remembered to be added! But that is all I have used bread crumbs for................. until the other day................

I ran across a recipe titled Italian Chicken Sticks. I decided to give this a try with my homemade pasta. Oh, let me tell you!.............................just wonderful! Now, in my cooking, I will never take those tiny, grainy bread crumbs for granted ever again! I have made them to be a constant in my pantry. If you are tired of chicken fried, baked, and roasted,..............give this tasty and( may I add, quick and easy), recipe a try. You'll be glad you did! Enjoy!

Italian Chicken Sticks
1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
1 1/2 tsp. thyme
1 1/2 tsp. basil
1 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
Pinch of ground red pepper
1 stick of melted butter
8 boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 1/2 inch strips
Marinar sauce or honey mustard for dipping
Preheat oven to 400.F degrees. In a pie plate , combine the breadcrumbs and seasonings. Dip the chicken strips into the melted butter and then dredge them in the breadcrumb mixture. Place chicken strips in a single layer on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Serve the chicken sticks hot with sauces . Enjoy!

13 comments:

Paula said...

Oh my~ this sounds wonderful, Kathleen! Thanks for sharing!

Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

Kathleen, that recipe has me drooling!
One that I'm sure to try because it's so easy to do...Ginny

grammy said...

I love garden tomatoes .... makes me want one (o:
I also love chicken...and almost always use chicken instead of beef....so I will try this (o:

Vickie said...

YUM. Kathleen, this sounds great! I think my salivary glands went into OVERDRIVE just looking at your photo! Those sound great! Must copy your recipe!

Patty H. said...

Yum! Sounds delish!

Unknown said...

Not a fan of chicken but his sure entices me ...

Pop over for our Valentine GIVEAWAY

Have a beauatiful eve ~
TTFN ~
Hugs, Marydon

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Kathleen, italian bread crumbs and plain ones as well are always staples in the pantry - useful in so many ways as you are discovering. You can also saute fresh brocccoli in olive oil and bread crumbs - might be a good side dish to this chicken too.

Connie said...

This sounds and looks delicious, Kathleen. I bet your kitchen always smells good from the dishes you make. :)

Verde Farm said...

I love chicken and this sounds wonderful :)

Bev C said...

Hello Kathleen
I have just been re-reading some of your posts, you sound so much happier now that you aren't tired down to work. Looking forward to seeing what else comes out of your kitchen.
Happy days.
Bev.xoxo

Mel said...

Oh yes, bread crumbs are a must in all pantries.

I use bread crums on chicken, fish, pork chops, in my meat loaf etc. etc.

Your chicken fingers look like a must try, grandkids can never have enough chicken fingers. Thanks Kathleen for sharing your recipe.

Blessings,
Mel

Nancy M. said...

It looks and sounds delicious! I love chicken any kind of way, so I'll be sure to try this!

peggy said...

Loved the picture of the kale and speaking of italian bread crumbs, so far I have only used them for zucchini. I think this sounds wonderful.