"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands........" 1 Thessalonians 4:11

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

There just isn't anything better than having

homemade cookie dough in the refrigerator, is there? I grew up associating these
chilled cookie doughs with the name of "Icebox Cookies".......did you? This cookie dough pictured above has the consistency of brownie dough after it has chilled. It has the rich appearance of dark deep chocolate........................it actually reminds me of the concoctions I use to make outside as a youngster...............during my mud pie baking marathons..................did you make mud pies and cakes when you were small? Do you still have any of the toy baking items that you used for these?
Oh..............back to baking..................make small balls out of the chilled dough and then roll them in granulated sugar. Then place onto a cookie sheet............parchment paper lined sheet is best for this...........but you can do as you please...........and then bake in the oven and....................



Enjoy!!!
The little white cookie above is also an "icebox cookie" and I will share that recipe with you later on!


Sugared Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies
2 1/2 sticks butter
2 cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs (stolen from Eleanor's nest)
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
2 cups plus 2 tbs flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 package (6oz.) chocolate chips
granulated sugar for rolling
In a large mixing bowl, beat together sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla. In a separate bowl mix together flour, cocoa, soda and salt. Gradually add this flour mixture to the butter/sugar mixture and blend. Stir in chocolate chips. Place batter into refrigerator for about an hour to chill. When dough has become firm, roll dough into 1 inch balls and then roll the balls in granulated sugar until well coated. Place onto lightly greased cookie sheet (parchment paper lined sheet works best) and slightly flatten. Bake at 350 F. degree oven for about 10 to 12 minutes. Take out of oven and let cool for about 5 minutes before removing from pan. Enjoy!

16 comments:

Patty H. said...

mmmm!! Those look delicious!! Yes, mom use to make 'ice box' cookies. And yes, I use to make mud pies!! I remember using a turned-upside-down wheel barrow as a 'car' to go to the store with to purchase ingredients for my pies. My sister and I would turn the wheel barrow upside down, sit between the two back legs and turn the wheel with our hands. LOL!! We sure would get to the store fast. Oh, boy!! Those were the days.
Blessings
Patty H.

Vickie said...

Ok, Kathleen, why'd you have to go and post this yummy chocolate cookie recipe??? Yes, it does look like MUD, but it sounds delishuss! Guess I'll have to make these for after supper tonight. Hubby is always nosing around for something chocolate. I don't bake much cuz neither of us need it, but I have to try these. I 'spect these will be his new favorites!

Yep, I used to make big messes with mud and stuff, too. Wasn't it fun just gettin' dirty??? And listening to momma fuss? That made it all worth it!!! haha! She'd make us hose off in the yard and take all our clothes off down to our underwear in the garage before we came in, and then go get in the bath tub!

Sunny said...

Yes, refridgerator cookies are fab! I mixed up 2 batches Sunday afternoonand put 4 rolls in the freezer, to take out and bake when needed. I like your recipe... LOTS of CHOCOLATE!! :-)

Paula said...

Mmmm- these sound yummy, Kathleen! I'll definitely give these a try!

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Oh, yay! Thanks for the recipe, I'll have to bake some. And yes, we called them icebox cookies as well. And yes I made lots of mud pies and cookies and all sorts of delightful looking concoctions. Can't wait for the other recipe. I've been looking for a good one off and on for a while now.

Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

Those cookies look like they just need a glass of milk or a hot cup of tea to make them just right!. Ginny

Kelly said...

I bet your kitchen smells wonderful.When Jasmine (our 7 yo grand) came up for Christmas we had to make cookies. Great memories for us both.

Mel said...

At first glance, yes, it does resemble mud, however, I would bet yours taste better... LOL

Oh, those mud pie days were the bestest! Mom used to get so angry because brother & I would take her pie tins out and maje our pies.

We would sit under the gutter of an old store front and collect the rain water and mix it with dirt. Gosh, that was fun!

I will have to keep this recipe, hubby is a choloholic.

Winter Blessings,
Mel

Tammy@Simple Southern Happiness said...

The cookies look scrumptious! I have cabin-fever, I could use some chocolate about now.

Thank you for the recipe.

grammy said...

That looks yummy...
I made mud pies and I make sure the kids here get to in good weather.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Kathleen, this is a recipe I will try - just as soon as we finish the christmas cookies, which may take awhile as we are limiting ourselves. I could almost small the delicious aroma of these freshly baked treats while reading your post. Sure could use some of Elanor's eggs too.

Verde Farm said...

Oh these sound delicious and look delicious. I haven’t had ice box cookies in so long. Wonderful :)

~mel said...

yum... those look good ~ like I didn't get enough over the holidays and now I see another cookie recipe I want to try out. Thanks for sharing!

Connie said...

Your cookies look so good, Kathleen! Thank you for sharing the recipe. I'm sure my family would love those! :)

Stickhorsecowgirls said...

Oh my goodness! I remember my mother making ice box cookies--seems like they had butter, vanilla, brown sugar and walnuts in them. She rolled the dough into two long logs in waxed paper and froze them. Then she would just slice and bake them. They smelled SO GOOD!!!

Ladybug said...

Recently found your Blog. Yummy
Choc cookies recipe,will have to
make some, thanks for sharing...
Enjoyed all the Mud pie comments
those where the days gals..:-)
Blessing
Trish-Ladybug