"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands........" 1 Thessalonians 4:11

Tuesday, November 28, 2023

November is fading away,

 sunny days are shorter and hold a chill from the cold of the night before.  A couple of large hoot owls have decided to make their midnight lookout post on a large crooked mesquite tree that stands outside of our bedroom window.  I hear their hooting through the wee hours and they sound as if they are in conversation with each other.  One has a distinct deep and low hoot and the other has a light airy hoot.  

There is still so much that is a vibrant green all along the grounds even though it is late November.

There is an abundance of red berries on the wild bushes this year
The Turkey Pear cactus is at its best in vibrant red and green. 
The porch plants are now tucked away into the greenhouse to wait the winter through
and there is not much to do outside on these short chilly days.
Much of my time is spent cooking, cleaning, or stitching the hours away.  There is always something that needs to be done inside.  I hope this finds that you all have had a blessed Thanksgiving day and are looking forward to a happy Christmas season ahead.




 




 

13 comments:

Leigh said...

The color palette in that first photo is lovely. I love vibrant colors, but there is something so appealing about subtle colors like that.

Do you use your prickly pear as a food source? I've just been reading about that.

Marie Smith said...

I have never heard or seen owls in nature. I am so envious.

Sandi said...

Pretty red berries! Are they the dangerous kind?

Julia said...

I hope that you can take a picture of the owls if you ever get a chance. Thanks for sharing a splash of color during these dreary cold days.
Stay warm.
Hugs, Julia

Barwitzki said...

Your garden still has the wonderful colors of autumn.
I'm excited to see what you sew... and yes, I love cooking too. Last weekend I had guinea fowl, it was delicious.
Otherwise, the baking time for Christmas is approaching... lots of different small cookies... I only don't bake gingerbread because I live in a small town where there are bakers who specialize in that... they call themselves "Küchler" and bake that Just one thing all year round - gingerbread :-)) in many variations. They are very small family manufacturers and we have eight here with us. Very popular.
Hug to you. Viola
Happy 1st Advent on Sunday.

Mary, Windy Meadows Farm said...

Cooking, cleaning & stitching...those sound like perfect ways to spend the days this time of year. Good for you...enjoy the quiet, even the sound of owls seems so nice. Ahhh...

Prims By The Water said...

I have not heard an owl in years. Such beautiful cacti. Janice

Debra said...

I love to see your garden and surrounding areas. It is SO different from my NY state area! I love to hear owls! One time when my son was young, we heard one hooting from outside our living room window which was open. So we imitated the call and actually got the owl to come right to a tree close to our house! It was exciting. We didn't realize how owl-like we were!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Kathleen, it is nice to read that everything is peaceful in your part of the country. Your yard is still showing some wonderful colors compared to the drabness here now that the autumn leaves have all fallen. I am looking forward to a winter snowfall as we are safe and comfortable indoors. Thre newly fallen snow is always so beautiful.I hope your family had a nice Thanksgiving as we did with a family gathering in RI.

Bonnie K said...

We used to have a pair of hoot owls. I loved listening to them call to each other. Enjoy.

Lady Locust said...

You still have so much color, beautiful!
I like hearing the owls. We have them here also and they serenade us some nights 😍

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

We are getting some cooler weather now. I'm wondering how much is still green there. We have quilt a bit green, but it's only a matter of time! And sometimes chickens!