"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands........" 1 Thessalonians 4:11

Thursday, June 8, 2023

Floating around in flood waters........

 If you have read my blog through the years........it seems I always talk about

how dry and in need of moisture our area is in...........

all of that changed a week ago........

you can click onto this link below....

Western Texas Flooding

We were safe from this kind of flooding.........though we have gotten inches of rain everyday
for a lot of days.  The above photo is a highway we use to go to Lubbock Texas.
The highway at this time is still closed because it has not stopped raining and the 
cars are still stuck in the middle of it all. 
For us, things have been much calmer.  Because of the constant rain
many of the wildflowers are in full bloom.  This seems to be a favorite of the bees.
They are always buzzing in and around them.  Of all things, this is called "hog potato"
Who really names flowers??  I cant imagine something so pretty being called hog potato.
The lovely Indian Blanket
Mountain Zinnia
Ox eyed Daisy
Prairie Aster
 We have so many different types of 
yellow daisy.  You think they are all the same type until you stop
to look at them.  Then you notice the difference. Some like
the Stiff Greenthread daisy
the Huisache daisy 
    and the Asteraceae daisy.....which I have to say is
one of my favorites. It's very tiny and so cheery!

The ground is also pushing up wild mushrooms,
They come in all shapes
and sizes with distinct features.
My own garden flowers are doing well......but that 
will be for a later post.  Because of the wonderful overload of rain,
there is an abundance of weeds and strong grass that has been overtaking
the garden spaces.  So for a good part of the morning and afternoon
I am bent down tugging and pulling.
So tell me.......how is your weather?  What is growing in your back yard? 
I would love to hear.
Here's wishing you the best of beautiful days ahead.
















 











20 comments:

Julia said...

Your wildflowers are all so lovely. I had no idea that there were so many different yellow daisies.

I'm glad that you are not flooded where you are but at the same time, it's so inconvenient to have the road closed. Here it's been raining, wet and cold and we are unable to plant our vegetables that are all root bound in their little pots and we haven't had sun for so long.

It's not raining much but it's sprinkling most of the time. There are showers here and there. I think that I will have to go plant in the rain... In Canada, so many places are having so many wildfires that are sending smoke to big cities like Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, New York, and many other places. So many disruptions in everyone's lives. So many homes and businesses have been destroyed and so many families have nowhere to live.

We make plans but God has other plans. Thanks for your comment on my Madonna of the Street.

Good luck with your gardening.
Hugs, Julia

Nancy J said...

We didn't see that flooding on our TV down here, what a difference even a little rain makes.Hope you stay safe, and those weeds, they also love the rain!!!

Prims By The Water said...

I hope the flood waters subside for you. We could use the rain here. Mother Nature sure is finicky this year. Such pretty flowers! Janice

Lady Locust said...

Oy! It is crazy with the flooding that is happening down there, though I must say those flowers are beautiful. I actually like some of those silly names. Makes me think there might be a story like "if I call it this, nobody will want to take them." 😊

Faith said...

no rain for 16 days now, since I put up the Rain barrel. It is empty and I'm watering my garden with the hose. I've got tomatoes, peppers, winter squash, butternut, turnips and cucumber. Things which were planted from seed are very slowly growing.

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

Your wildflowers are beautiful. I sure hope the rain stops and the flooding stops soon.

Marie Smith said...

Canada needs rain desperately. Eastern Canada has had some this last week and it has helped the wildfire situation. Quebec and Alberta need rain desperately.

Granny Marigold said...

It sounds like the rain your area received is too much of a good thing! The assorted wildflowers are beautiful but really, hog potato? As you said, who names these things!!
We are finally supposed to get some rain in the next 2 days. Hopefully the rain barrels will get filled ( we have 6 around the house and the shop in the back).
Right now in our garden the lettuce is about done but the beans are doing great. I hope to freeze lots and have more to share with the kids. A nice gentle day-long rain sure would give them a boost. GM

Hill Top Post said...

How wonderful that you have been blessed with an abundance of rain. Your beautiful wildflowers would make any gardener proud. We are very dry here and have our fingers crossed that rain is on the way.

Barwitzki said...

Your flowers look very happy with the rain you have. Happy gardening to you.
We've had a lot of moisture and sun this spring, so nature is thriving. The rhododendron has faded and now the roses are starting to bloom and the strawberries are ripe in the fields... lovely... I also love all the peonies that are still blooming now. It's the best time to go hiking.
Many greetings to you from Viola

Debra said...

We are in a very dry spell. Hoping for rain today. We have had awful air quality from the wildfires in Canada. I feel badly for the Canadians especially. Our air looked yellow and it was unsafe to be outside. Today it's better. I have had to water the gardens but things look pretty good. Your wild flowers are so beautiful. I hope the weather straightens out in your area soon. I'm glad you are safe.

Rose said...

I love all those flowers...in my daughters yard, she has some roses blooming, Coral bells ares blooming, as well as some Asiatic lillies...but more of those to come. And her day lilies are about to start.

We had a lot of rain to begin with when we got over here, but we have not had any rain to speak of in a few weeks, but it is looking like there will be a better chance on Sunday.

Bonnie K said...

Thank you for sharing such beautiful wildflowers! I'm glad you are getting some moisturizer, but I wish it was spread out some. We also have a lot of mushrooms.

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Wow! I had no idea you got that much rain in your area. Glad it didn't impact you too badly! We had lots, but we are used to it. Lots of new growth here and the best crop of zinnias I've had in years.
Loved seeing the different yellow daisies! I had no idea there were so many varieties. Thank you for the education!

handmade by amalia said...

Crazy weather. As if the whole planet has lost its mind.
Amalia
xo

Mary, Windy Meadows Farm said...

It sounds like you received much needed rain...yay! Here it's like fall...I actually had to turn the heater on one evening I was so chilly. It does make for perfect yard work though...I am NOT a hot & humid summer lover, yep, about 65=70 degrees makes me the happiest!

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

I hope your weather has improved and you will have a very happy summer.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Kathleen, as I write this comment a flash flood warning has been issued for some neighboring counties here in NH, but nothing on the level of the flooding you showed. Glad to read you were not affected, but good that you did get some rain. The wildflowers reminded me of many similar ones we had in our wildflower garden at the VA house, which are missed, but not the yard work and weeding.

J. S. Vila said...

In the photograph we can see that the rain with discontrol is terrible. This days is better stay at home. If It is possible.
From the others photographs they are beautiful flowers in the garden. It is every good for a home.

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

I love the beautiful wildflowers and mushrooms. Glad you got rain to break the dry season.