"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands........" 1 Thessalonians 4:11

Sunday, March 29, 2020

I have started my long walks through the woods these days

an "escape" for my mind at the moment.......far from the worry
of this uncertain time with the problems the coronavirus has brought
to our nation/world's  health, well being, and stability.
How pretty it is this time of year here,  all over
the grounds!  On my walks I have discovered 2 new wildflowers that 
I have never seen bloom here before. 
The first one( in the photo above)  has grown abundantly and
spreads through the woods
and spills over the edge into the field next to us.
It has the most terrible name.......for such a pretty flower.
The Texas Wildflower directory identifies them as 
"Scrambled Eggs (Corydalis curvisiliqua) " 
 another site I found them to be called "Golden Corydalis"  which is a much worthier name, at least I think so.   
Anyhow, there are scrambled eggs growing in our woods!  
The second flower is also yellow and has fringed petals. The Texas Wildflower directory identifies them as
Puccoon (Lithospermum incisum)
I was so  thrilled to find both of these beauties.  The yellow primrose (buttercup) and the purple prairie aster are also blooming.   All of the rain we have had has made the woods come to life.  
The green thorny thickets of wild red berries are covered in tiny 
pale yellow blossoms........a sure sign of good food for the wild birds
in weeks to come.
  
another wild red berry that grows plentiful here and is now in bloom,  is known as algerita berry.
Both wildlife and humans can eat these berries.
On my walk, I noticed that all of the mesquite trees are leafing out.
For us here in this area, that means there will be no more freezing days.
I hope this to be true!
all through the woods, this wild bush is in bloom and looks golden in the sun
It is covered in hundreds of tiny blossoms. I have not researched this yet,
so I am unsure what the name of it is.  
So much of this wild land is disappearing around us with all of the oil and electric industry.  Much of the pasture land that is still  around  is covered in a sea of prickly pear cactus. 
I am still whacking away at the growth we have..........but I can almost see the light at the  end of the tunnel with it.
along with all of the blossoms, there has been an abundance of butterflies

and all kinds of song birds who fill the trees with their new homes. 


and there is a whimsical little woodpecker at the same spot in the woods, who seems to wait for me to toss bread scraps down.  As soon as I turn my back, he instantly flies down to enjoy his meal.

O, money can't buy the delights of the glen,
Nor Poetry sing all its charms:
There's a solace and calm ne'er described by the pen
When we're folded within Nature's arms!
James Rigg, "Nutting Time," Wild Flower Lyrics and Other Poems, 1897

I hope this finds you with pleasant surroundings and peace amongst the 
worry and chaos that has enveloped our lives.
May this find you and  your loved ones safe and well.





18 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

How refreshing it must be to leave the trouble of this difficult time for a while and walk those paths. It always amazes me how many Spring flowers are yellow. Nice cheerful yellow. Stay safe and well.

Nancy J said...

Your poem says it all for us all over the world now.Love those golden flowers, they brighten not only your landscape, but our days as we ready your words and so enjoy the blooms.

lil red hen said...

Isn't spring a wonderful time!! I've just been around my yard looking at all the flowers to see what's blooming. I finally have twelve red tulips and a few yellow ones. After the storm last spring, I made myself a promise to buy bulbs; they do better for me than plants from seed which can't compete with weeds, or deer. I'm just trying not to worry about the future and staying put at home.

happyone said...

Beautiful photos. I enjoy my walks too now more than ever. When I walk things seem normal again.

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Thank you, thank you! What a delightful post. I've never seen any of those flowers, so it's nice to know their names. Cute woodpecker, too!

Natalia said...

I love those photos and this virtual trip, the butterfly is so cute! I am following, greetings from Poland, stay safe and healthy everyone☺

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Being in the middle of Nature is so regenerating. I am looking forward to our move to the side of a mountain in a climate where I can plant new to me flowers that would not live in Northern Indiana. I know there will be frogs, there will probably be woodpeckers and I hope there will be Crows. I'll be looking for new friends there.
xx, Carol

R's Rue said...

❤️

Hill Top Post said...

West Texas surely has its share of beautiful, but unique, flowers at this time of year. Spring seems early this year; even butterflies and hummingbirds are already out and about. I never tire of my daily walks. Your meandering and well-worn path beckons me to come join you. :~)

Sally said...

I wish I were there to walk with you; such beauty surrounds your home. :)

Actually, did a little yard work today so I must be feeling better. I'm finding that staying at least a little busy helps take my mind off this situation we're in. Praying it doesn't get as bad as predicted!

Stay well, my friend.

xoxo

Prims By The Water said...

So loved taking this tour of your wonderful flowers blooming. We do not have any of these in Michigan, so do enjoy seeing other parts of our fine country. Janice

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Thanks Kathleen for sharing the finds you saw on your walk. Even if we walked to the park near the apt, there is not any growth to match the colors you've shown. The woodpecker seems to be a new fathered friend.

Bev C said...

Hello,

Thanks for sharing the plants that are blooming. The prickly ones look like they are great at catching your jumper.

Happy days.
Bev.

The Wykeham Observer said...

I am also curious about the yellow-covered shrub. Everything looks beautiful! Phil, MN

happyone said...

So nice to walk along with you and see all the beautiful sights. :)

Connie said...

The wildflowers there are so beautiful and abundant. I enjoyed seeing them. I hope you and yours are all staying well too.

peggy said...

You took me on a walk this Palm Sunday, it was so lovely.

Henny Penny said...

It's so pretty there. I love the woodpecker! We have several kinds here, but I've never seen one like that. Stay safe and well.