"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands........" 1 Thessalonians 4:11

Wednesday, July 8, 2026

It's HOT!!

 

(Photo borrowed from internet)
Whether you are on the shore/beach of the lake, in the shade of your front porch, sipping ice tea,
or in your backyard swimming pool, there's no other way to say it..........
it's HOT !!
It seems everyone, everywhere, across our nation and in other parts of the world are 
experiencing sweltering heat.
Any kind work in the flower gardens that needs to be done, I do it in the very 
early morning before the heat finds me. 
The sweet blogging friend, Granny Marigold, asked me how the nasturtiums
I sprouted inside were doing?.......to answer you, dear friend, they were green and pretty,
but as soon as the heat hit, they surrendered and did not make it.
The zinnia and cosmos are doing well and seem to enjoy these hot summer days. The zinnia are just about to bloom.
I have finally been successful sprouting avocado pits. I currently have 4. 
I have tried and tried over the years to grow these with no luck.
This time, I chose the wet paper towel method over the common toothpick method.
It certainly works for me. If you are interested in trying this, I have a good video from YouTube 
at this link
this shows how to sprout and how to plant

The wildflowers are also vibrant and growing well.
The mesquite trees are putting on their beans
and they, at this time are very pretty with the red and yellow clusters 
hanging on their branches.  Soon the whole ground will be covered with 
drying mesquite beans.  Much of the wildlife do enjoy eating these.
They are mostly enjoyed by rats and mice.
I have been keeping maple syrup bottles after we finish up the syrup
and filled them with colored water to depict the changing seasons .
They make a colorful window in the entry way.
The wild birds have been such a good entertainment lately. Wild Quail have been 
bringing their offspring to feed 
and to get water.

Doesn't this road runner really look like he is running a race?

 


Many of the birds all get along and eat side by side, but 
there are a few occasions when a fight breaks out amongst them.
It adds a bit of comical whimsy to bird watching
The talented person who created this funny short on YouTube has
captured the sentiment well .  You can view it at this link
I hope this finds all of you enjoying these summer days.
  
Woods are filled with the music of birds, and all nature is laughing under the glorious influence of Summer
Charles Lanman, "The Dying Year," 1840


























8 comments:

Linda's Relaxing Lair said...

Yes, it is very hot!!! Even here in Montreal, Canada, which surprises some people, are we are "north". LOL!
Your photos are absolutely stunning, captivating, enjoyable and refreshing. Thank you so much for sharing.
I also wish to thank you for your visit and kind comment on my blog! I really appreciate it so much, it is comments like this that encourage me to keep going with my blog. I am extremely grateful for being able to provide positive content that makes people smile or just enjoy a quiet moment!
I hope you are having a lovely week.

Granny Marigold said...

Oh My! There's a lot to comment on in today's post. First of all I'm sorry about your nasturtiums. It's really hot when even a hardy plant like nasturtiums can't take it. Your other flowers seem to be thriving. At least some are providing lovely colour. The Chickadee video is hilarious. Birds are funny and we enjoy watching their antics too. Our kitty is also fascinated by them and sometimes gives in to her evil side and catches one which she then leaves at the back door. Then she's baffled by our reaction.
I sure hope you get some cool weather soon. Meanwhile keep as cool as possible.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Hi Kathleen, it was so nice to see a new post here and thanks for sharing your lovely flowers. I can understand how some fell victims of the heat as Texas is much hotter than here in NH and for longer. We did have a heat wave last week, but temps are slightly cooler this week and not in the mid 90s all week. We enjoy avocados all the time and I have never tried growing one, so perhaps in the future, I sill try growing one as yours seems to be doing well. Birds can certainly be quite entertaining. And, what a great reuse for those maple syrup bottles!

Barwitzki said...

It’s really lovely here right now—lots of rain with sunshine in between... nature is glowing in the most beautiful colors.
I wish you a happy summer, and yes, I really ought to try growing a plant from a pit again—an avocado; that’s a great idea.
Thanks :-))) so much.
Hugs

Prims By The Water said...

Your maple syrup bottles are so pretty lined up. Loved reading about all of the birds in your area and also the mesquite trees and their beans. We had the hot spell last week and stayed inside and only watered my flowers early in the morning and later in the afternoon. Expecting the second heat wave next week. UGH Janice

Leigh said...

What a wonderful collection of photos. We're hoping for a break in the heat over the weekend.

Debra said...

Hot-my goodness! But I think the humidity is what makes it worse. I love road runners! Of course we don't have them here. I'm going to start embroidering again-got inspired by The Tangled Thread, by Fleur Woods. So far I have dyed some fabric with acrylic paint.

Anonymous said...

First.... how did you find a picture of me ? As that dear lady is exactly how I see myself at the beach if I was there. Lord have mercy. ")))
Second..... your flowers are always so lovely. I have grown several avocado trees in years past. It is just a fun project.
Third.....the mesquite pods remind me of giant purple hull pea pods. I did not know the trees put off such pods.
Fourth.... the maple leaf bottles are beautiful and more so is your stain glass windows, of which, this is the first time I have seen or known you had those. Truly stunning.
Fifth.....as always, your photographs are exquisite, charming, beautiful, delightful. I will check out the link.
Sixth..... you always have a very meditative quote one can ponder on.
Love you.
In Joy