"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands........" 1 Thessalonians 4:11

Friday, March 24, 2023

If one can get past the high wind and suffocating dirt

 and look close enough,

beauty can be found in these wild days of March.
Our back property has large dunes of wind swept sand
that gives the false sense that a body of salt water lies on the other side
but no........
 all that can be seen is the large acreage of the bare cotton field that stretches for miles as the 
dry dirt blows across it and forms these high dunes. We are in much need of rain.
yet, even in this dry climate.......the tough little
prairie wildflowers are starting to pop up and to show their color.

Some of these early spring days have been warm and pleasant, 
others have been chilly.  The wild birds are starting to fly in ,
some, like the woodpecker,  are native here. Some are migratory who come to rest their wings,
fill up on seed and water, and then , in a few weeks fly on their way.
In the woods, away from the sand dunes,  where the trees are still bare,
the gold color of the budding conifer 

shimmer in the sun.  These small buds will soon turn red.  This 
kind of conifer is a tasty treat to the wild deer who walk along the grounds
in the late afternoon.

The red berries of the Turkey Pear cactus look
so cheery and vibrant. 
This is a "look, but don't touch" plant... as it 
is filled with hundreds of tiny barbs and thorns.
Closer to the yard, the fragrant stock plant is blooming.
Taboo kitty loves sticking his face deep into the blossoms 
each morning on our walks. 
When the wind and dirt is not blowing, I have been outside,
planting flower seed and clearing garden spaces. On the wild windy 
days I am content to stay in and stitch the hours away.
So tell me.........how is the weather in your corner of the world?
Are you planning large flower or vegetable gardens?
I would love to hear!










 







14 comments:

Julia said...

It's amazing that anything can grow in dry sand. Nature is full of pleasant surprises.
You sure have plenty of sand to start a cement business.

My first instinct would have been to pick a bouquet of those prickly little blue flowers. lol...
We still have lots of snow left and had another snowstorm yesterday but the river is wide open so the ice is floating down the river. It's been windy and cold today.
I started a few flower seeds indoors under grow lights.
I'm soaking wool to dye for my next rug. I have dyed three batches of wool so far.

Take care and keep your hands busy.
Hugs,
Julia

Marie Smith said...

We are in winter weather yet and more snow coming this weekend after snow last night. Our springs are always late. Have a lovely weekend.

Terra said...

We had dangerous high winds and rain earlier this week, and a neighbor's tree fell and ripped down the power line to our house, I wrote about that on today's blog post. How bold and hardy those pretty flowers are to flourish in tough dry conditions. One garden goal for me this year is to plant a cherry tree, doesn't that sound good?

Granny Marigold said...

Wow! You really do need rain. I hope you get some soon. Most of Canada is still snowy but here on the Southwest coast Spring is everywhere now. Daffodils and Crocus blooming and trees showing tiny leaves. I've been going through my seeds from past years, seeing what I need to look for. If I wait too long choices will be more limited.
Take care, Granny M

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Kathleen, you have such amazing plants and flowers I never see around here! Isn't God so wonderful to give each area of His world their own unique beautiful things to enjoy! Thank you for sharing your corner of the world. I always love seeing what is blooming and happening!

Debra said...

Oh my goodness! I am stunned by the diverse beauty in your part of the world. You truly have an amazing place. I would LOVE to see it. I had no idea you had sand dunes near you. It is just beautiful....
I'm going to have a bit smaller of a garden this year, but maybe more flowers than last year. I can't wait to get my hands dirty!

Mary, Windy Meadows Farm said...

Thanks for the update in your part of the world...love the little pops of color. We're under a high wind warning today, everything needs to be brought in or weighted down that might blow away. I always worry about the old trees...fingers crossed their limbs and roots hold strong. Yes, planning a garden...a little day dreaming and sketching to do this weekend...always fun to dream! Mary

lil red hen said...

Kathleen, I wish we could share our rain with you. We've had so much wet weather this spring; in fact, yesterday we had four inches and that came on before the ground had time to dry out from a precious rain. I fight mud whenever I go to the barn to feed cats and cattle. However, I try not to complain too much because I know how quickly things can change and be too dry. Thank you for sharing your part of the world with us.

Bonnie K said...

I am jealous. You have color. Our world is white. I needed to see some flowers. Thank you for sharing.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

It was nice to see this recent post, Kathleen, and hopefully you get some of that needed rain. It is amazing how plants adept to harsh conditions and Taboo certainly was enjoying those purple blooms (my favorite color). Most of the recent snows in Nashua, NH, have melted thanks to temps in the high 40s to mid 50s, but there is nothing in bloom yet. This week, I noticed that some of the trees in the downton area had buds, so in the next few weeks, there might be more happening.

Prims By The Water said...

We had string winds yesterday. So much so that part of our store awning came off. Bob had to secure it from blowing away. Now we will need to fix it. Beautiful flowers! Janice

Barwitzki said...

Sand dunes, that sounds like vacation to me... beautiful little plants that thrive on you...
Here with me it is a rather humid climate, although we had it very dry last summer.
Now in March the spring cups are blooming on the wet meadows... the crocuses and the first violets and daffodils and everyone is waiting for the tulips... but that's still a while. I have roses and many herbs in the garden and I grow a few tomatoes... and bushes with berries... for snacking and cake... I pick strawberries in the nearby fields between the forest and the field.
I wish you a nice week. Viola

Spare Parts and Pics said...

Your photographs are beautiful! I love visiting and photographing sand dunes. The ever-changing patterns are amazing. Just got back from 2 days of photographing some dunes in the Mojave Desert.

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

Yes, there is beauty in the sand. I love your photos and the wildflowers. Happy Spring!