"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands........" 1 Thessalonians 4:11

Tuesday, October 5, 2021

The lovely days of October are here............

 and fall is taken over summer, yet,

here in Texas, it still feels like summer.

The days are sunny and most of the time in the 80s and low 90s.
The flowers in the garden are still as lovely as can be.

The morning glory is full and a beautiful blue

and the most beautiful creatures hide within it's leaves.
The rose moss is still cheery,
the zinnia is still showing off it's vibrant colors
They are such a happy flower it seems
The cosmos are the loveliest ever this year
The wild prairie aster that grows along the grounds, 
has chosen a section of the garden fence to grow.  
They are such a cheerful flower.
Nature knows that cold weather will soon be here 
and  many creatures have been discovered hiding underneath
any kind of covering on the ground.  It is a time 
that we have to be very careful and observant to avoid being 
bitten.  Thankfully this is a checkered garter snake.
A very shy and gentle creature.
And with October being a favorite time for the taste of pumpkin,
it is also a time for the warm wonderful flavorful dishes 
that apples can bring.  I have a recipe for a wonderful treat 
for just this time of year.   You can find it on my cooking blog  
at this link:  
Here's wishing you lovely and pleasant autumn days!











 




11 comments:

Prims By The Water said...

Me likes your pretty flowers, however me does not like snakes of any kind. I work near one of our windows at home and have been watching a chipmunk lately. So cute. Janice

Rose said...

I have never seen nor hear of a checkered gartersnake..it is quite pretty if you call a snake pretty. I love Apple Crisp.

Henny Penny said...

Such a beautiful post. I had never heard of a checkered garter snake until someone else posted one on her blog. We have garter snakes but they have stripes. You know, I did not plant any zinnias this year and I have sure missed them. Yours are so pretty, and your blue morning glory. I grew a huge vine but haven't had even one bloom.

Granny Marigold said...

I love your blue Morning Glory. I sowed a packet of mixed seeds and 95% were purple. A lovely purple but I was hoping for some other colours too. Maybe next year.
I imagine that anyone in your area would recognize which snakes are harmless and which are to be avoided. Please be very careful!!
In the comment that you left on my blog you wondered where I keep my teacups. I have them all on display somewhere in the house and also in a big cupboard on the porch. I'm so glad you're enjoying them.

Olde Dame Holly said...

Your garden is at its best ever! Those are the biggest cosmos blooms I've ever seen. Huge! The whole garden is so lovely. Including the snake! For some reason many bullsnakes come into our yard. The rock walls do not deter them. They are also harmless. Other than the fright they give!

Marie Smith said...

That blue morning glory is gorgeous. We have garter snakes too but I haven’t seen them often. Stay safe.

happyone said...

Your flowers are all so pretty.
I've never heard of a checkered garter snake but it just couldn't have any other name looking like that. Amazing!

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

It is great to enjoy the last of Summer's blooms, isn't it! We are blessed to live in a place where we can do that. Everything at your place looks wonderful!

Bonnie K said...

Beautiful flowers. It looks like you have great growing conditions. I love snakes. They eat mice.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Kathleen, I will admit to enjoying the flowers a lot more then the snake! It looks like you are still able to enjoy a lot of beauty in your yard, while here the fall foliage is taking over especially in the northern areas of the state, but notb as much yet where we are in the southern area, but soon. I will also be making an apple crisp for dessert this weekend, so what a timely recipe!

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

What awesome photos of your flowers. You are so fortunate to still have beautiful summer flowers. You live in a lovely place.