"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands........" 1 Thessalonians 4:11

Sunday, February 16, 2020

Many of us have had the joy

of either receiving....or giving...... a bouquet of fresh flowers.  
To me......flowers just seem to say "hello, have a cheery day!"

and they are even more beautiful placed in a vintage vase.

But do you ponder on the meaning of the flower itself and the color?

The symbolic language of flowers has been recognized for centuries in many countries throughout Europe and Asia. For example, red roses mean "love" or " I love you"

For me.......I love any color and any kind of flower that anyone gives to me.  I never think of what the meaning might be when I am given a gift of beautiful blossoms.

When I pick out flowers for someone........I don't think of what the color means......

I think about what the favorite flower and the favorite color is of the person 

I am giving the flowers to. 

But it is a very interesting and wonderful history to read on this link about the 


In a previous post, I asked if any of  you would know what the flowers could 
be that are growing in my greenhouse. 

I had many wonderful answers.........however, 
the flowers bloomed.........and I realized that they
are a flower that I know. 

They are "Stock" flower.........just like the ones that 
a dear friend ( Bell)  gave me years ago.  Why I did not 
recognize the leaves....surprises me.......but the second I saw the blooms
and then smelt the fragrance......I had my aw ha moment. These
are in a lavender color, where as Bell's are in a dark purple. 
And now it all makes sense as to why these flowers grew so strong and 
healthy during the summer without blooming and are now blooming in February..........
so representative of the Stock flower.  I will soon be transplanting 
these to the outside grounds. 

The daffodils under the back yard tree have sprouted up
and I am looking forward to their cheery yellow blossoms.
So tell me..........what is your favorite flower and color of flower?
What is sprouting in your back yard?
I would love to hear!

11 comments:

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Like you, I just enjoy the flowers, no matter what the meaning. Flowers delight me, and I aim to have something in bloom at all times. Right now the paperwhite narcissus are blooming and some hyacinths are blooming, plus the summer hibiscus are still blooming. As you can tell, we have not had a freeze. I tried one of the amaryllis bulbs forced inside this year and it has been a delight - red!

Granny Marigold said...

I love your pretty bouquet of flowers. It's just the kind I like, mixed kinds. I don't pay much attention to the meaning of the various flowers/colours.
I'd say Roses are my favourites as well as old fashioned Sweet Peas and reblooming Day Lilies. So many flowers to appreciate.

Connie said...

I enjoy all kinds and colors of flowers too. I generally say that yellow is my favorite color, but I really do enjoy all the colors and kinds. Your red and white bouquet is lovely.

Hill Top Post said...

The Language of Flowers speaks so sweetly anytime of the year. I am seeing a few green sprouts shooting forth, mostly from underground bulbs. Your "stock" flowers are a delightful surprise!

lil red hen said...

In general I just love all garden types of flowers. Usually I would receive a plant to put in the garden rather than one blooming.

Prims By The Water said...

Very interesting reading the language of flowers. I do know the meaning of the different colors for roses, but had not known about other flowers. Janice

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

Your flowers are beautiful and I love your plants. How interesting about the meaning behind the colors and type of flowers.
The language of flowers is awesome!

Henny Penny said...

I love flowers too; just about any kind, and appreciate the red roses from my husband. Given a choice, I would pick a bouquet of mixed flowers over red roses. I've never heard of stock flowers. Maybe I should take a picture of some in my yard and someone can tell me what they are. Have to wait until summer.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

This was a great post on flowers, Kathleen, and glad to see that your daffodils are beginning to sprout after the recent snowfall. One of my favorite flowers are lilacs as they are also in my favorite color, purple.

Sandi said...

They are lovely!

The Wykeham Observer said...

I wish I had a greenhouse like that. I will have to start planning one and just get it done.