"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands........" 1 Thessalonians 4:11

Monday, March 18, 2019

This year, I have decided to do a "smaller version" of gardening............a lot smaller version...........

For the longest time, I have loved looking at the small " fairy or gnome" gardens
that people create...........and I have longed to make one of my own.
however, I am not a big fan of fairies or gnomes and I did not know of a good spot
to place even the smallest of gardens.............
This little bird house is so whimsical and has been sitting on my porch for a few years, 
with nothing more than wasps trying to make a home in it.

I love the rock chimney on it........don't you?

So I decided to make my miniature garden.........starting with this 
I glued a heart shape over the birdhouse hole.

I also had this small figurine of a farmer girl nibbling a carrot......
and the little figurine dog looked like a perfect companion.

I also had plenty tiny chicken, swan, and duck figurines,
to make myself..........not  a fairy garden..............instead, 
I decided to make a "folk garden" with a farmhouse theme!
I glued the small chickens and ducks onto slate tiles that I 
had stored away.  This will keep them from getting buried over the years in
dirt or carried off by rats.

I repainted the bird house ..........(I need to make a tiny wreath for the door)
don't you think?

I like the grey"cottage country" look.

and I chose a spot in my garden that I have been planning
and working on in the backyard.  This one corner had weeds and 
not much wants to grow there. 
So I felt it would be a perfect spot to set up a tiny garden

I made this stone slab a few years ago when I started making 
concrete garden things.  It has the same slate tiles
and broken pieces of my favorite vintage dishware.

Now it is perfect to set the farmhouse on and it  looks like a 
patio garden/yard! 

I made a chicken coop out of another weathered 
birdhouse, by adding a chicken run up to the opening.

I painted a cement dish I had made a while back to 
create a pond for the ducks.
The green plants are wild prairie asters. They look like perfect miniature shrubs at the moment.

I made a tile patio............
will think about making a fireplace and furniture later on.........

and a garden with raised beds............
it needs a scarecrow.........

two little owls look over it all from the old
dead tree stump.
I am planning on adding limbs with other birds and greenery later

There is plenty room to add more, in any direction.    I need to add a chicken yard fence and a
garden fence with arbor entries .
 I will add more landscape and 
 other farmhouse things as I go along. 

Now, I have my small " folk garden".  
I will piddle on it here and there........from time to time.
Changing it with the seasons and adding more things as time goes by.
So tell me..............
Do you have a small fairy garden or something similar that you have created?
I would love to hear!

12 comments:

Hill Top Post said...

Working small is such fun. Your folk garden is already charming in so many ways. Could it be that after having stitched together so many of those tiny triangles you began to think small! Ha!

happyone said...

Oh that is so cute. What a great job you've done creating you little garden. I love it.
No, I've never done anything like that.

KathyB. said...

What a perfect little garden to enchant anyone taking time to look at it. I love gardens like this and can spend a great deal of time investigating every little detail.

Granny Marigold said...

Your farmyard garden looks great. I've thought about making a miniature garden/fairyland but so far haven't done so. I do have a scale model fishing shack that stays outside all year. That's as far as I've gotten.

lil red hen said...

Kathleen, your mini garden is delightful! I'm full of imagination so this was perfect! I did try to have a fairy garden one year. On the north side of my house a lot of pretty green moss grows; in the hot days of summer it suffers and turns brown. Not much luck with the garden that year, but maybe I could try again? I still have most of the things I used before.

Thank you for checking on me; I'm fine, just can't get excited about blogging right now, although I do read blogs every day.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

What a delightful garden you have created, Kathleen, I have never done anything similar when we had our own home. the only decoraive touches were frog statues and shells in the front flower beds. I look forward to seeing how your expands and changes with the seasons. It is very creative

Henny Penny said...

Your tiny garden is adorable, and you have the perfect farm girl and animals. I love the little house and the chicken coop. Like you, I've never cared for gnomes and fairies. They are just a little too unreal for me. You have made me want to start a tiny garden. While I am outside tomorrow, I will look for a spot. I've always wanted to build a tiny home around a big hole in the bottom of a tree. Probably would not know where to begin. :)

The Wykeham Observer said...

It was nice of you to leave a comment on my blog today. I'm doing well, just haven't blogged in awhile. You really made a nice little folk garden there, and it will be fun to keep adding to it! Phil/MN.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Superb idea. I love these little gardens but never wanted one outside. Our summers are too short and I would have to pick it up for the fall and winter months. HOWEVER, I have been collecting miniatures to create an indoor one of sorts in an unused fish tank. Mine will be a witch's garden though since I love that theme.
xx, Carol

Faith said...

I'm inspired...this is darling. I've always liked things in the miniature. Now I can have my chickens, Love it.

Debra said...

This is just incredible! I also really love little things-and you've given me lots of ideas!

Connie said...

Kathleen, this farmhouse garden is adorable! I love all the details. I've never tried to do a miniature scene like this, but yours turned out wonderfully.