"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands........" 1 Thessalonians 4:11

Thursday, December 20, 2018

Well.........instead of waiting until the new year to post , I still have some things to share

the last few days of this year........so I'm back. 
(our woods, a few frozen years ago)

This is the last day of fall........tomorrow, winter begins.
Although I am not looking forward to snow or extreme ice,
I still find beauty in the frozen woods 
and prairie.  
For those who love to work outside and in their gardens,
this time of year is usually a slow down time.
For me, it is the heavy work time;  it is the perfect time to "safely" work outside
and to clear garden spaces for the next growing season.
I can easily work in layered clothing and gloves 
easier in 30 degrees than to work in sweltering 107 degrees
in late spring and summer.
Also, the rattlesnakes will be very slow to strike in frigid temps, 
if I come upon one while clearing brush and cactus. 
This is also a time I love to look over garden books
and seed catalogs and dream about my future gardens 
that I would love to be able to build and grow.
So tell me......
do you do outside work when cold winter days come?,
or do you find yourself by a cozy fire and are perfectly content that way?
I would love to  hear!

11 comments:

Terra said...

The nights are about 50 degree F here, not very cold, and not much gardening to be done. In January is the bare root tree planting time here, and I want to plant some fruit trees, perhaps an apple and a fig. You are making good use of your winter garden time.

Hill Top Post said...

On warmer winter days, I do like to work outdoors. For us, there are no ticks to deal with. I also think there's a lot of beauty in the winter woods. It's so fun to look right through bare branches into places that are normally hidden behind masses of leaves.

Granny Marigold said...

I have stacks of gardening magazines from years past and I enjoy leafing through them, admiring what others have accomplished and making plans for next spring.
I don't have any work to do outside. I go for my daily walk, come back with cold hands and feet looking forward to my hot cup of tea1

Have a wonderful Christmas.

peggy said...

I do walk out there but hightail it inside when I get cold. Wimpy. Your pictures are so beautiful I don't blame you for going out. I'll try it again and think of you.

Nancy J said...

I look at the totally bare dirt which was once a lovely flower garden , at our new home, ( the second previous owners had a superb garden here ) and know we have a bare plot to plant all the bulbs and cutting I have in pots. Winter, we do not get so cold that it is unbearable to be outside, the rain is welcome,and the frosts finish off some weeds. Maybe a good time to sit and look out the window, enjoy the hot coffee, the warmth from the fire, and wrap up warmly for the walk to the mail box.

Debra said...

Today it was almost 60 degrees F. here-which is very unusual for us. I sat by my geese who had fun in the water. I do have a lot of garden work to do now. I have to do it all before spring, so I work even when it's cold-at least 20 degrees-I bundle up. Any colder and I just look at it from a warm window inside. I love to see the seed catalogs coming in the mail.

Prims By The Water said...

I am an indoor girl for Winter, enjoying a warm fireplace and watching movies. Not sure I would like to encounter a rattlesnake in any weather. Yikes! Janice

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

We no longer have outside work to do which is a benefit of apt living, but I can’t get cozy in front of a fireplace as we don’t have one. Be careful when doing thise outside chores, Kathleen.

Henny Penny said...

Oh my gosh! That picture of the frozen forest is so beautiful, it doesn't even look real! I do work outside during the cold winter months. Once you get out there and get going, you warm up quickly and you're right, it's easier than trying to work when it's 100 degrees and sweat running in your eyes. Merry Christmas!! Rattlesnakes! I can't imagine. Even in the winter??

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I am NOT going out to do any kind of work in the cold. However, it hasn't been very cold in Northern Indiana, but certainly too much rain to clear the leaves that have fallen since the rain and wind knocked them down. After the first of the year I start my countdown to Spring.
Merry Christmas
Carol

Connie said...

I stay tucked inside my house as much as possible this time of year. I don't mind the break from garden work, though, and I'm glad I don't have to watch out for snakes!! Wishing you a Merry Christmas!