"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands........" 1 Thessalonians 4:11

Thursday, May 17, 2012

A few weeks back I posted a photo of a native wild berry bush

called the Algerita Berry.

Now the blooms have faded and the bees have buzzed away............

and sweet berries in the vibrant color of red are hanging in clusters, waiting for the birds and what ever wildlife to come along to eat them. Yes, I pick them as I walk along with Sophie. They are full of seed just like a blackberry, but so good!

I planted a young pomegranate tree last year, in the middle of the harshest drought and hot wind ever.
It survived and is now in full bloom! I just love the way pomegranates look..........don't you?

It seems that every tree and bush is budding and blooming

and no matter how many times I see this through the years..........I simply love it!
It's as if every tree has pulled out it's favorite beaded necklace and has cast it on.

As most of you know, I love to grow large gardens of zinnias. The photo above is from 2010 garden.
Last year no zinnias could be grown because of the drought and harsh weather.

This year I have planted large zinnia gardens once again, and they are in the process of sprouting and growing! I am so looking forward to seeing their colorful blossoms. In the photo above these are zinnias I am experimenting with in the "bag gardening method." They have sprouted and are growing quickly. They are mixed with Mountain Garland...........a new flower I have not raised before.
I also am planting one area with a giant "white" zinnia this year. I used to never care for white flowers, but have found them to be so wonderful in making up the color scheme of a garden.
How about you?
Any wild berries in your area?
What colors do you prefer in your flower gardens?
I would love to hear!


16 comments:

Country Gal said...

Oh it all looks soo lovely . I like all kinds of colours and flowers . I also love wild flowers. This weekend is a long weekend and I am going to my fave garden centre that has a huge sale and get me lots of flowers for my gardens and planters I cant wait. Hope all grows good and you get rain soon . Have a good day !

Glenda said...

Such beauty all around you! I love zinnas, too!

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

I love the photo of your flowers. The zinnias are splendid. I love those flowers. I've not planted any zinnias this year, but may later. We don't have any bushes with berries. I love your plant with the berries. They sure are lovely.
Loved all your photos.

Connie said...

Your blooms are looking so pretty, Kathleen. I love it when plants spring back to life. I hope your zinnia will do well this year.

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Very pretty, Kathleen! I've never seen those berries before. Texas is such a big state, we're in completely different climates!

Wren said...

I so enjoy seeing what others grow in different areas of the nation. I like bulbs the best, mainly because I like to have cut flowers. I always plant glads in batches of 2-3 weeks apart so I can have some most of the summer. But, my favorite are roses! And my favorite color is pink.

Debra said...

I am so interested in your native plants! I can't imagine growing your own poms! I'm jealous!
I love zinnias too. I want to plant some green ones with pinks this year. I love purple leaved plants with many colors of pinks thrown in.
Love your bag idea too-look forward to seeing how it progresses.

Terry and Linda said...

Your yard is just lovely!


Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com

Hill Top Post said...

Quite an education I am getting here! I have done research on the algerita berry and, just in case I should come to visit (with protective glove in hand), am prepared to make algerita jam! I love the vibrant colors of the native plants that surround you.

Michaele said...

Great photos! Love the ceder berries and I have never seen a pomegranate like that. I was delighted to find we had mulberry trees. They aren't a very flavorful berry, but fun to have and pick.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Hi Kathleen, our only barries are strawberries and LOTS of them which we are enjoying daily. No zinnias planted, but I have several pots with geraniums and petunias and volunteer marigolds from last season! The predominant color in these flowers is pinks, reds, salmon,

Agrigirl said...

We do have a wild berry that is from the nightshade family. It isn't really sweet but pleasant. Love your flowers.

ThreeOldKeys said...

How beautiful your photos are ... and i peeked at your embroidery ... WOW.

Zinnias are so pretty and i've tried them, but they don't like the constant high humidity in VA ... or at least that's my excuse.

Love your description of all the nature around you dressed in its pearls.

Paula said...

There is so much beauty around you, Kathleen! I've never heard of the Algerita berry before.
Balckberries will be early here this year... they started blooming around the first of April so the berries will be coming on soon. Most of the time it's near the 4th of July before they are ready to pick. I hope I can beat the birds to them!

The Woodbury's said...

It's looking beautiful! You have such variety!

A Colorful World said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! I can't believe you have a pomegranate...OK, how do you spell that again???? :-) Anyway, I have planted an avacado seed twice and nothing happened! :-) I do have a pineapple barely making it out there. I can never decide which colors I like best in a garden. I just love them all!