"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands........" 1 Thessalonians 4:11

Sunday, February 15, 2009

A Bouquet of Fish?

Another Valentine's day has passed.....I expect you all are loaded down with boxes of candy and blooms of every color! What could be better than a bouquet of flowers I ask?
How about a bouquet of fish in the most vibrant of colors! That is what I got this year!
They are so very tiny...only about an inch . I can't wait to see if this one will stay like a calico or completely turn orange.

This one is so pretty, a little larger. I love the black and orange together.


This one is all white with just a hint of summer yellow on all of it's edges. The others are in colors of solid orange and mixed orange, white and blacks.



This is one of the fish that has been in the pond for almost a year now. It was only about and inch long when we got it.....and now look how big and beautiful it is!





If you see the tiny fish in the bottom of the bucket, it is easy to see how much bigger this fish is.





So new life has been added to the pond. I can't wait to see how these new fish grow. I am in search of water lilies to give the fish some kind of shade. We bought a couple of lilies last year, but they did not sprout. I am hoping to find ones that are already leafed out as in plant form. Do any of you, who own ponds have water lilies? How about turtles? Where do you purchase your pond accessories from?As always I love your comments and look forward to hearing from you. I would love any information on this!






19 comments:

Phill said...

Oh- the pic of the fish from the pond (in your hand) us just gorgeous. The color is so amazing and he looks just perfect! Happy holiday! What a neat present.

Andrea said...

how cool! fish are awesome. it's really relaxing to just watch them swim around.

LindaSue said...

Just a hint - turtles like to bite the fins off your fish - experience speaketh. Lovely Valentine Bouquet!

Childers Corner said...

That was a great idea! They look so pretty and you'll get to enjoy them for a long time to come.

Anonymous said...

What beautiful fish. Best wishes with the pond. Look at the size of the water lily on my blog today - it's huge!

Vickie said...

Well, I don't know squat about having a koi pond but they sure are pretty to look at. I hope the big ones don't eat the little ones!

THanks for visiting - I always look forward to reading your posts. I'm kinda partial to country/farming blogs. Have a good one, Kathleen!

Michelle said...

Wow! What a unique gift! I love all your fish. I love ponds. They bring such serenity to any environment. Your animals are so adorable!!

Nancy M. said...

Wow! Those fish have grown a lot in a year. They look huge compared to the new ones. They are all very pretty!

Sunny said...

How beautiful Kathleen! Here in Kentucky they sell growing water lilies at the aquarium fish store I go to. You might try at those and other pet stores. Koi are a big thing here. I don't have an outside fish pond, other than our farm/pasture ponds, but I do have an aquarium I enjoy. They can be very relaxing

TxFarmhouse said...

Well, how cool is that! I've been wanting to put a pond in the backyard..they are so relaxing. Our farm/feed store co-op used to sell the koi and now they're hard to find. I'm wondering too where everyone is getting them now.
RiverBend Farm

Tipper said...

Pretty fishies!!

Amy said...

What a lovely gift! Goldfish are just beautiful!

Anna Colleen said...

Very pretty fish, that is cool that you have fish.

Irma's Rose Cottage said...

Love your little fish. Can't wait to see future posts on your pond.

Hugs :)

Irma

Paula said...

Dear Kathleen,
The fish are so pretty! I am glad you have more to add to your pond!
Love, Paula

Vintage Linen Treasures said...

I have a pond that we installed about 6 months ago. And I enjoy it soooo much. We have water lilies but they are dormant right now. Hopefully they'll sprout and bloom again in spring. We have to give them some fertilizer end of Feb/early March. I have eleven goldfish and two koi in mine. Lots of frogs and toads in the summer, and a tiny little snake that visits when the frog eggs hatch. He eats up almost all of the tadpoles (good thing or I'd have THOUSANDS of frogs!) I get my fish at walmart and so far all my plants came from the pond store. But I have a questions for you... WHAT to you feed your fish?!
Blessings,
Patricia :o)

Vintage Linen Treasures said...

PS: The pond people told me that turtles will eat the undersides of your waterlilies. They don't recommend them.

Princess S said...

What a great gift!!!! I get more pleasure out of unique gifts so I think it was perfect. They are so pretty...I can't wait to hear about their life in the pond.

Connie said...

I enjoyed seeing your bouquet of fish, Kathleen. I hope they grow and do well in your pond. :D