"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands........" 1 Thessalonians 4:11

Wednesday, February 21, 2018

An elderly friend once told me that when it lightnings and sleets in February,

it is  sure to snow in April!
Early in the morning hours........it did just that,
 along with much needed rain.
Not sure if this..snow...... actually might happen........
but did you know....
Easter falls on April Fools  Day ( April 1st) this year??
It would not be good to get snow!

My bare bones garden at the moment, lies in frozen
wait......as I plan the plots and spaces for flowers......
and for this year a small variety of vegetables.  
The roses in the large back corner container are doing well,
even with sleet on them.  I pruned them a few days back
and new growth has already sprung forth!

I read on the internet, how to take rose cuttings

with potatoes......to make new rose bushes.  
So with the 
pruned stems,
I pushed each one into a potato, 


then planted that into a container/pot

Have you heard of this method?

I now have 8 hopeful new rose bushes

It showed to place a clear soda bottle over the stem,
however, I don't drink soda, so, I placed them into seal
plastic bags......leaving the seal slightly open to prevent mold,
and then placed the pots inside......in indirect light.
I so hope.......they will sprout!

You may also remember that I  posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2018
(link here    trees)
about the small Arbor Day trees and Bonsai trees I planted. 

The Arbor Day trees  are still in my shop, doing well,
and to my delight.......one of the Bonsai tree pots 
have sprouted!  I hope the remaining pots will do the same!
We had gotten so used to the days here being in the 60s and up into the high 70s
and today.........in the 30s
everyone is enjoying the comfort of their beds

and blankets.  
Tomorrow.......and the rest of the week.....
in the 50s, 60s and 70s.......
again!!  
Have you sprouted any kind of flower using the potato method?
If so, how long did it take to grow roots and sprout leaves?
I cannot find this information anywhere.
How is the weather in your area.........is your garden calling to you?
I would love to hear!



18 comments:

Jan said...

Thundersleet here in North Texas today! We had about 2" of rain earlier this week, now the trees are encased in ice and it's cold!

lil red hen said...

I've never heard of the potato and rose idea, but I'll be watching to see how yours turn out. Old people used to start roses all the time but I never had any luck just sticking cuttings into the ground. I love roses, so do the deer, and black leaf spot, and so I don't have many.

Hill Top Post said...

There's always such fun things going on at Eggs In My Pocket! Hopefully all of your sprouts survive to bloom beautifully there on your Texas Prairie, right along with all the magnificent wildflowers. There's not much sign of life in my garden yet, for it has been a cold winter. Let's hope the snow in April doesn't happen, even though it might be good for the soil.

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

I did see that with rooting roses in potatoes. I did try it once, but no success for me. Hope yours works. I also really hope NO snow! ;)

Anonymous said...

thunder and sleet,, bad combo!!!!!
I have rooted my roses this very same way and its funny because our family was the only one that I have found did it this way!!! Beautiful photos, lovely sleepy critters,

happyone said...

I don't think Easter has ever fallen on April 1 before.
Never hear of the rose and potatoes before.
We are having a spell of warm weather but I'm sure it will snow again.

Granny Marigold said...

That certainly is a different way to propagate roses. I hope you'll share the results (and that you get good results!)

Sally said...

You know, I actually did hear about the rose cuttings and had forgotten. Thank you for the reminder; I have several I could do that with! My problem here has been the grasshoppers. A couple of years I tried the 4 pennies in a plastic bag, but I guess they caught on 'cause now they chew anyway. :)

Warm here right now, 80 today. So good to see you!

xoxo

Debra said...

Hello my friend! I have never heard of the potato method-that's wild! I'm interested in the outcome. Sophie-oh she put a smile on my face!
We are getting snow as I write. Yesterday I was outside, cutting grasses and weeding. It was about 60 degrees. And now we're white again! Gardening is something I will have to dream about for now....

Henny Penny said...

I did enjoy this post! I've never heard of rooting roses in a potato, but sure want to try it. Your big dog snuggled under the blanket is so adorable, and the kitty cat. Easter on April Fool's Day! That seems unusual. :)

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I am going to be so interested to know if your potato method works. I wonder if it works on other bushes as well. I wonder what it is about the potato that nourishes the rose cuts. So many questions, lol.
xx, Carol

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

We had two days of rain this week and I am really hoping your saying is not true. I loved seeing how you are trying to propagate roses and my fingers are crossed for you that this will work. Interesting. Great photos of the cosy pets.

Jean Tuthill said...

I've seen the potato rooting on the internet and was curious about it working. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. Please keep us posted. It is too cold here yet to do anything outside, so I am trying to keep busy inside. Your pets are adorable with their blankies!

Haddock said...

Like that idea of using the potatoes.

Prims By The Water said...

Never heard of the potato method. Sounds interesting! Your fur babies look very comfortable. Janice

Connie said...

The rosebush cutting and potato idea is new to me. I hope it works for you. Your pets look nice and cozy in their beds. We are getting rain today. The temperatures have been mild this past week, and it is starting to look like spring.

Anonymous said...

Your sweet pets look cozy! I have heard/read of the potato idea but have not tried it. I sure hope you have great success. Wonderful about the trees sprouting too. We have had some very warm weather in GA and lots of rain. We have a chance of frost til mid April. We recently spread cedar mulch around all our plants and most all are coming back from last year. I wish you a nice week.

Faith said...

I have not heard of the potatoe method...but am willing to give it a try. I have successfully rooted cuttings placed in soil and covered with a glass jar..works like a terrarium.