"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands........" 1 Thessalonians 4:11

Saturday, November 18, 2017

The wind is roaring outside and beating on the door and walls of the house

as a cold front pushes itself in for a couple of days........
It is a good day to make a pie and some bread for the day's lunch..........
In the center of my kitchen, I have an old wood  table,
it reminds me of the one my grandmother use to have in her
kitchen...........
 
and it serves as an "island" of sorts to 
make all kinds of dishes
and great for rolling doughs out on. 
What kind of workspace do you like to use?
When I am not baking, I like to use the table for a morning brunch
and I keep a baked dessert or cake on it
for the day's nibblers to enjoy
My stove is another great space........not just for cooking and baking,
but is wonderful to warm and to get bread dough to
rise, especially on cold days as today.
                                   




                         
I have made some dinner rolls for lunch and some "hamburger buns"
for a later dinner.
This time of year, I get anxious about the weather because
I want Thanksgiving day to be a pretty and comfortable day.
I have guests who are driving and flying in......
so I  do not want snowy weather.
I have checked the weather report for the next few days and 
it looks like we will have temps at 66 for the day.
Not too hot.........not too cold
sounds like a perfect and comfortable day!
After a large meal, everyone can take a nice walk
or go outside to catch up with visiting!
How about you?  Are you cooking the Thanksgiving meal this year?
Do you have a large workspace or table to make your treats?
What kind of weather do you like...........and what kind of 
weather are you anticipating for Thanksgiving?
Whether it's just a few folks at your table........or more
Whether it be freezing weather or pleasant,
here's wishing you a very Happy Thanksgiving!



14 comments:

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

What a lovely, cozy, homey feeling kitchen you have. I love the vintage accessories, too. I am admiring the fact that you bake your own rolls and buns. -Jenn

Chy said...

Oooh your baking has me wanting to get out my recipes today!

Our Thanksgiving here in Canada is in October. We had a small gathering but a lovely one and enjoyed the Fall leaves outside after for a little walk as well. I hope your weather stays as predicted and your guests all arrive safe and sound.

Chy

Nancy J said...

A kitchen filled with love. Thanksgiving, we do not celebrate the day down here, but this weekend had our family stay, on the way to collect grandson from university. He has ended the second year of a 3 year Science Degree. And, I found, when they called in on Saturday on the way home, I do not reach his shoulders now, he will be 6'3" at least!! And Dani, at almost 16, is a tad taller than me. No bread, but apricot slice, and fudge went home with them for special treats. There is great joy in baking for others. I can imagine the wonderful scents from your table.

lil red hen said...

Thank you, Kathleen! I LOVE your kitchen! Especially the little cabinet; the farmer made one for me with a pull-out surface which would be the perfect height for rolling out pie crusts, but I use the island instead. I really don't enjoy baking and cooking as much as I should. ;) The family will be here (I think) for Thanksgiving dinner and usually the girls bring things to help with the meal. I hope you have a very Happy Thanksgiving with your friends and family.

happyone said...

What a great table that is.
I too have a table in the middle of my kitchen that I use as an island. It is a high table and the same height as my counter tops so it is very handy to have.
Those rolls look delicious.

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much for visiting/commenting. You have such a warm and cozy kitchen. Oh, the bread looks delicious. I have a very narrow kitchen these days but it is fine since it is just the two of us. We should have temps in the 50's or 60's by Thanksgiving. I do hope you won't have rain since you will have many loved ones present. I sincerely wish you a blessed Thanksgiving.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

What a wonderful kitchen table, Kathleen, and even more wonderful are the foods you displayed. The breads looked so good and since I have just started baking my own artisan bread, I can appreciate seeing yours. Our best wishes to you and your family and friends for a very happy family gathering. We will be celebrating with family in our native NJ so no cooking at home for us on this holiday.

Sally said...

I would love to have your kitchen table!

Wishing you and yours a blessed Thanksgiving! I'll be with my granddaughter and her family.

Xoxo

Granny Marigold said...

I loved having a peek at your cozy kitchen. Your baking looks yummy! I hope your Thanksgiving is everything you want it to be ( ours here in Canada is in the first part of October and long past).

Sue said...

I am so in love with your kitchen. Have always wanted you to share pics of the inside of your place because what you have shown of the outside looked awesome! So old fashioned and homey

Sherri Farley said...

Your kitchen is wonderful, so cozy and welcoming. I love the large table, what a great work space. I wish you good weather and good times for all your family this Thanksgiving!

Debra said...

Lovely post! It's so heartwarming to see your bread too. That says 'home' to me. My grandma made all her bread-never bought any till she got sick and had to move to a care facility. The smell of that just baked bread was like no other perfume-and how amazing it tasted warm with butter melting on it. I have her recipe-I must make it soon! Happy Thanksgiving-give Sophie a kiss for me...

Connie said...

I love your kitchen. It looks so welcoming and inviting. I hope you had a nice Thanksgiving and a lovely visit with your guests.

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

Those dinner rolls look delicious. You have a beautiful, neat kitchen. I love your china.
Have a Merry Christmas.