"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands........" 1 Thessalonians 4:11

Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Placed away............for years.............

my fingers taken up with a needle and thimble, 
my hands busy with chickens and gardening,
my guitars have waited in the quite dark..........
untouched.........unheard.
That all changed the other night when this almost 80 year old
set of hands brought one of my guitars back into the light
and woke up it's strings.
There is a line of musical talent that runs along in 
my family tree........not worldly known......
only known to family..........and friends.
Aunts, uncles, and grandparents........playing and singing.
I bought my first guitar at the age of 14 .........
dreamed of being as good as John Denver
and dreamed of going to Nashville.
While in college......I joined a singing group and
bought a guitar, which took me 8 weeks to slowly pay off...........
Didn't go to Nashville......... instead, 
became a "wedding singer"..........
and then turned into a "lullabye singer"
and eventually put my dreams and guitars
far away on the back shelf.
Later my dear aunt gave me my late uncle's guitar
which I played.......but also placed away.
It has been years since I have seen my aunt Fern.
While visiting, this week, she asked if I still had the old guitar.
I dug it out of it's dark place...........a bit ashamed at 
how ragged and worn the case was ........
and handed the dusty instrument over to the 
aged, talented hands.........that has played along
with bluegrass and country pickers.
As a mother would straighten her child's hair and brush lint off of his clothes,
my aunt gently wiped down the guitar and tuned it's strings. 
Wonderful old forgotten songs sprang forth
from those aged fingers that strummed and picked.
The next day.........our home was filled with the 
sound of those well loved hymns from our old piano, 
by that same pair of aged, talented hands.
What a blessing and what a sense of joy she brought to 
our home!
My aunt inspired me not only  to pick up and peck out 
a note or two..........someday perhaps.
She taught me most to not completely forget 
the other things that I love to do, even if life has swayed
me to another path.  
There is joy in everything  that we try to accomplish.
Now, I have found  a new place instead of a dark closet
for these guitars to rest.......
ready for someone to pick them up and 
fill the house with music once again.









17 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

I'm so glad your aunt persuaded you to bring your guitar out of storage. I hope in the future you'll find time to enjoy playing it again.

Nancy J said...

This is the most tender love story.I hope you can find time to play those strings again, I can see you there, frosty lawn, the wicker chair waiting, and to the chookies and all other creatures, serenade them into the day ahead.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

What a lovely post, Kathleen, so full of the past yet looking ahead. The love you have for your aunt clearly comes through as well as your love of music and family. I hope that you will return to your playing as I have not. years ago, my parents bought a piano and I had lessons and years later I bought a guitar and took lessons, sadly both those instruments are long gone now as I did not keep up my interest.

Sally said...

Lovely post! Isn't it a beautiful thing to remember what we loved, and bring it back to now. I do hope you will be able to enjoy the music again very soon.

happyone said...

A joyful post and one that I enjoyed. Your aunt sounds like a special lady.

Hill Top Post said...

How beautiful! Music can fill our homes and hearts with so much joy!

Lady Jane said...

Oh my, what a wonderful story. God is telling you something, dear one. Kathleen, there is always time for music... The ways of the needle are great also but music is a gift. No joy can compete with the sound of music!!! I hope you pick up this wonderful talent... Hugs, lj

Anonymous said...

Such a sweet post. So nice to visit once again.
Mildred

Henny Penny said...

So glad I didn't miss this post. It is beautiful! I love seeing the two guitars there by the piano. I have wished all my life that I could play a musical instrument, especially the mandolin. My daughter has recently learned to play the guitar. She also sings. She is in her early 50's. Your aunt has beautiful slim hands and arms...very graceful.

Sherri Farley said...

Lovely post. Music brings gladness to the heart.

Debra said...

This is a beautiful post!!!!Thank you so much for the lovely photos and inspiration. I do hope you will play and sing again.

Anonymous said...

OH Kathleen, tears welled up in my eyes reading this most delightful post, so glad I took a bit of time to visit with you, among the many things that are calling my name today. Aunt Fern is a very blessed lady as you are having her.
Thank You
In Joy
Vivian

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

What a wonderful post! And how blessed you are to still have an aunt and such a blessing as she is! I look at my piano every day and think I'll sit down and play, but somehow I never do. You are right - we need to never let go of those precious memories.

lil red hen said...

I loved this post! And the pictures of your aunt with the instruments are wonderful.
I'll be looking forward to future posts and hoping you'll tell us you're playing one of them. Recently I have started playing my piano again, just a little every day, and although it isn't concert ready ;)it's a joy. I've had this piano since I was about 16-17 years old, and it's needing to be tuned; I've compared its sound to a saloon piano. ;)

NanaNor's said...

Happy Fall to you! I loved this post-reminded me so much of myself. You see I played guitar in high school and college and then after having kiddos, let it go. I used to sing with my best friend at coffee houses and charity events-like the library opening.
Now my grandson plays and I so remember it, how much I loved it. One of those things I gave up with a family; I was also a folk dancer and gave that up because hubby didn't like it. Now I just quilt and love it. Also sing a lot at a church, not on the worship team though. So glad you got the guitar out and hope you start playing again.
Hugs,
Noreen

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

Wow! I loved this post. You are so blessed to have your aunt and what a talented lady. Just wish I could have been with you. Sounds like the musical was awesome!

Meggie said...

A lovely post...it reminds me I need to tune up my guitar and enjoy the comfort it brings in playing.