"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands........" 1 Thessalonians 4:11

Monday, August 7, 2017

She has been here for a few years..............

guarding the gardens........

(2013)
withstanding the harshest dirt storms, extreme heat, 
freezing snow

the scariest thunderstorms, with blowing rain and lightning,
and once had a nest of wasps in her head.


(2014)
But each year I find a new outfit for her to wear
(purchased at the thrift store)

(2015)
as you can see from the photos.....
she started out skinny as a stick

(2016)
and through the years, she has filled out. Her body has dropped 
and sagged and her head has cracked..........
and she has needed some repair............

(2017)
now here is Gertrude

she has moved from the back gardens, to the front
pumpkin patch.  I love to be able to look out the window 
and to be able to see my flowers and pumpkins growing!
Now, it is nice to also see Gertrude looking like a country
gardener , in the shade of the crooked and twisted mesquite
tree.........always keeping watch on whatever I choose to 
grow.  
So tell me..........who is keeping watch over your garden?
I would love to hear!

15 comments:

Debra said...

Oh what a sweet post! I like her outfits! She is quite stylish!
My geese Titus and Sam (both girls)keep an at distance watch over the gardens-but love ripe tomatoes or raspberries that I give them. I keep them fenced in, and at night I bring them in to a back room (spoiled rotten geese!)

Henny Penny said...

I love Gertrude!! It almost sounded like you were describing me...even the new outfits from the thrift store. She makes your gardens and fields of flowers even prettier. I really meant to build a scarecrow for my garden and forgot all about it! Maybe next year.

Nancy J said...

Gertrude has inspired me to have a girl in our garden too. She has weathered the years and storms so well, and a new outfit, truly lovely. Super vege patch.

Hill Top Post said...

What fun to go shopping each year for a new outfit for Gertrude. You have cared for her well, so she has served you well. What watches over my garden? Well... a tall fence and good dog Millie. Without her the white-tail deer would nibble everything to the ground, right up to the doorstep.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

As we no longer have a garden, there is no one watching over it, Kathleen. I like that Gertrude is looking after your pumpkin patch and so enjoyed seeing her outfits over the years.

Granny Marigold said...

Gertrude is a well-dressed scarecrow! Oops! Maybe she would object to being called that. This year's outfit is the best I think.

Sally said...

I don't have a garden but the great grands would love it if I had a "Gertrude". How cute! :)

lil red hen said...

Oh I love Gertrude! and her long skirt. Nothing is guarding my garden yet, but we have peas, and deer LOVE peas, so I may have to "employ" a watchman.

At Rivercrest Cottage said...

I don't have a garden to guard due to traveling, but I would love to have a Gertrude. It was fun seeing her over the years and the changes she's been through. Thanks for stopping by Rivercrest, I'm your newest follower.

Connie said...

I love all of Gertrude's outfits. She is quite fashionable. I especially love the picture with the red dress where she is watching over yellow flowers. It's nice to see her out there keeping watch. :)

A Brit in Tennessee said...

We have sadly stopped growing vegetables since our resident deer think the harvest is solely for their enjoyment :)
However I would love to have a "Gertrude" guarding my flower beds, she's just so lovely !
Hugs,
~Jo

Dianna said...

Gertrude has had many different outfits, but I think she looks the loveliest in the front garden among the pumpkins and flowers. :)

Your blog is so lovely. You have used some of my favorite images on your side bar. Makes me feel right at home.

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog today.

Karen said...

Gertrude is charming and looks like she has a lot of character. I never thought of having a scarecrow but she makes me feel that it might be a fun idea!

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Gertrude has proven herself quite adaptable over the years! She still looks wonderful.

Wonky Girl said...

Hate to admit but weeds and chickens are watching over my two garden boxes. (Did not plant this year). I love your Gertrude. Wonder if she would keep coyote's away from our chicken yard ?