"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands........" 1 Thessalonians 4:11

Monday, September 15, 2014

There is a place........serene .............


past the sunflower fields where rainbows stretch across 

and on the busiest path.........where cars and trucks whiz by........
not taking time to notice...........
how picturesque this spot looks............ 
but I notice and want to stop here


each time..........to just enjoy the beauty of these large and ancient trees.
They have been here on this busy path I have traveled  for the past 30 years ,
and my husband remembers them far back when he was a child, traveling to visit his grandparents. 

One does not realize just how large their trunks are .......
until they stand beside them.........in awe.......and feeling small. 

Sometimes, there is a stream of water running at their base, from recent rains.......
but no one knows this........

except for me........and this whimsical and friendly fellow.
 How about you?
Is there a place..........on the beaten path..........where life is too busy to take time to slow down to enjoy............except for you?? 
I would love to hear!




12 comments:

Lady Jane said...

Several places come to mind and I will have to stop and take a pic. You have a beautiful spot.

lil red hen said...

Wow! You're right about the size of those trees! With someone standing next to one it really comes across as being huge.

I'd love to go back and visit the hillside where I grew up.

NanaNor's said...

I love it that you take the time to enjoy this special place that most folks would just pass by. That tree is incredible and looks perfect for climbing, if it wasn't so old. Thanks for sharing.
Hugs, Noreen

Sherri Farley said...

Is that where out "snack" sunflower seeds come from? Beautiful fields of yellow. I love trees too. If they could only talk. I do believe critters just follow you around!

Sally said...

That road reminds me so much of the "path" to my grandmother's house which of course has been gone many years.

We have such a tree in our house here; very old.

Hill Top Post said...

Trees, especially trees of this size, are grand things. I am wondering if there is some underground water source at this wonderful place where the big trees grow.

Pam said...

I feel that sense of awe and wonder every time I gaze around at the mountains. Part of the glory of living in a Welsh valley are the mountains in all their splendour that are there to be enjoyed daily.

Connie said...

So lovely and peaceful. I would love to spend time there as well. I can remember visiting a certain state park as a child that had very tall pine trees in one spot and a stream and waterfall in another. I loved visiting there.

Kathleen Grace said...

I have to mindfully make myself slow down sometimes. Earl and I have a favorite walking path, a rails to trails path near the house that is wooded on both sides. SO beautiful and private, hardly anyone uses it, but it makes us slow down and breathe deep:>) I would love to see a field of sunflowers like that!

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Beautiful trees, Kathleen. Thank you for sharing with your artist's eye.

A Colorful World said...

I love those big old trees. Texas has it's own kind of beauty. Such a serene looking place there.

Debra said...

Your spot in the world is so beautiful. You're so right-we pass by the most lovely places all the time! I guess we see something so much that it isn't special anymore-I don't know. But I do love your trees. I think I have so many places I love-but one is a place on my walk where the deep thick woods comes right up along the road. It's just thick with trees and it's always damp and cool-you can actually feel the temperature difference just standing by it on the road. It smells so good in there! Like mosses and leaves, wet bark, wet earth. Sometimes I hear woodpeckers tapping away or a light breeze way up in the tree tops. It always cheers me up to pass that place....