"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands........" 1 Thessalonians 4:11

Friday, September 14, 2018

The grounds are showing their beauty.......

from the long Zinnia gardens

I have planted here and there........


Their many vibrant colors

and large blossoms, bring me much joy!

I planted them around Gertrude this year......
as you see, she looks very worn and tired from 
a long hot summer

The brush and landscape are also showing 
their own signs of beauty. This bush

produces little white fuzzy pods every year

The white and yellow wild daisies are also in bloom

Even the moss covered mesquite tree has it's own beauty.

A vibrant bumble bee adds to the color

The only thing I cannot see beauty in.......is, what
is happening to the pasture next to us

I used to be able to take the prettiest photos of
wildflowers, morning sun rise, and late evening moons

now large growling machines, are ripping up the earth,
and soon our peace, quiet, fresh air , and possibly our water
will be contaminated with an oil rig.
They are closing in all around  us.........
making my soul very sad.

So I cling to the beauty that surrounds our home,
hoping it will last through what we know as 
"progress"
and I try to think upon this quote
“The greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions,
 and not upon our circumstances.” 
 Martha Washington


11 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

Your Zinnias are lovely but oh how sad it makes me to think of oil rigs going up so close to your place. It must be so distressing.

Sally said...

I LOVE your zinnia's. One of these days I'm going to remember to buy some seed. Hopefully, the grasshoppers won't like them as they do the roses.

How very sad about the oil rigs; I know that hurts you. :(

xoxo

Hill Top Post said...

Your grounds are showing their beauty, for sure! I am amazed at how beautifully fresh your zinnias look this late in the summer. Martha's quote is right on!

lil red hen said...

Zinnias are such happy flowers! I always try to sow a few seeds but it seems after I do the weather turns too dry for them to grow. I love the close-up photo of the pink zinnia; it really shows how perfect God makes things.

Laurie said...

Your zinnias bring back memories of my grandfather, when he lived with us he grew the most beautiful flower beds, with zinnias standing tall. I miss those days, and thank-you for bringing back such wonderful memories, and the scents of grandpa's gardens. I hope the future of your land stays safe from the rigs that are in its sight.

Prims By The Water said...

So sad to see them ripping up the land. Love the many colors of zinnias and yours are wonderful! Janice

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

So wonderful to see these bloom around your home, Kathleen, and then so sad to see the destruction of the land around with the oil rigs. As hard as it is to see the onset of so-called "progress" being content in the beauty of your own place is sometimes what's needed for peace of mind.

Terra said...

Zinnias are a favorite flower for me too, the range of colors is fantastic, and it looks like you planted my favorite which is Purple Prince. How sad to hear of your nearby oil rig.

Debra said...

Oh my heart goes out to you....I'm very sorry to hear about what's happening to the fields near you. I'm glad you have your sanctuary.

Connie said...

I'm so sorry to hear of oil rigs coming there. You do have much beauty still around you, though. I love your zinnias. They grow in such bright, cheerful colors.

Lady Jane said...

Sorry to hear the oil rigs are getting near to you. You are lucky to be able to fest your eyes on the loveliness of your yard. I love your zinnias and I just love Gertrude. She looks lovely this time of year. Hugs, lj