"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands........" 1 Thessalonians 4:11

Saturday, March 24, 2018

Spring has come to us.......with no rain

and very hot days, 
but making my work outside along the "woods gardens"
a lot easier.  

Everything is dry and easy to break and rake up and to keep
clear and clean. 

The days are still cool enough to enjoy sitting out



or to work on outside projects.
You might remember I made this little cement rain catcher
for the wild birds and other critters  to be able to come and get a drink.
On dry days, I hose a little water into it.

With everything clear and done, I am able to sit out
with my coffee and enjoy watching 

the wild birds in their water

a wasp enjoying the pond water

amd wildlife scurrying here and there.

The usual spring flowers have started showing themselves 
in the gardens that run along side of the house.
The purple stock flower with it's heavy fragrance, comes
back every year........rain or not.

And the cheerful vinca stays green all year and blooms
it's light blue flowers in spring. 

The past few days the hen house has had 
this visitor.

A harmless coachwhip snake loves the warmth of the sun in
this spot.

However, I need to find a way to persuade it to leave
as I get the coop ready for chicks to arrive in May.

Through all of the dry and brittle terrain, 
nature still finds her way and shows herself in many ways.
And no matter how hard I work at raking and scraping the 
dry land.......rain or not, it will all turn 
wild again.
I know that many of you are still getting out from under ice and snow.
Maybe some of you are enjoying spring weather?
So I leave you with this thought in the above photo and 
wish for you pretty spring days ahead!


17 comments:

happyone said...

No warm spring weather here yet. This morning it was 16 degrees though it did warm up to 33 during the day.

Connie said...

We still have a bit of snow on the ground, but most of it has melted off. You always have such interesting wildlife come to visit you there! The snake, no matter how harmless, would not make me happy if it were hanging around here. I hope you can find a way to send it on its way. I enjoyed seeing your photos. Hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

I love seeing your gardens, Kathleen! Everything is coming along nicely, and I really like your little "pond"! I'm sure the wildlife is so thankful for it! I like your cup sentiment, too.

Prims By The Water said...

Pretty flowers. You really will need to get rid of the snake....it will eat your chicks and eggs. You need a cat. Foe some reason the barn cats on my grandparents farms kept both the mice and snakes at bay.Janice

Granny Marigold said...

Strange to think of Spring being hot and dry. So very different from here abouts.
I hope you find a way to get the snake to leave before the chicks arrive.
Have your Arbor trees flourished? I hope they did. Also those Rose twigs that you stuck into potatoes before planting. I hope they grew.

Nancy J said...

Your pond, some easy chairs, and wildlife to entertain, what could be better in a garden? The flowers survive, and when spring arrives, bloom unasked.Down here, darker mornings, night comes earlier, and cooler days let the lawn have its last fling before autumn sets in properly.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

I enjoyed seeing your outdoor spaces and the beauty that surrounds you. Snakes I am NOT crazy about though. :-)

Here in s.e. FL we don't deal with winter conditions like others. Gardening is 365 days a year. Things are flourishing right now that get watered, as we have not had rain in quite some time and what's not watered is looking like straw. We've just had another bout of beautiful cool weather, a real joy before summer's heat and humidity get here.

Happy Spring ~ FlowerLady

Anonymous said...

Such an enjoyable post. I love your idea of water for the birds. The stock is so pretty and our Vinca is blooming too. Best wishes relocating Mr. Snake! Have a blessed day.

Jean Tuthill said...

I hope "your" snake finds a new home. It is certainly not good to have around new chicks! I love your pond for the animals. I have a small one and a stream that flows into it and the birds really love it! I had a Blue Heron visit a few times for a feast of goldfish. Put a decoy out there and haven't seen it since. We had some snow last night here in Massachusetts! No gardening yet! Doing lots of sewing instead!

Hill Top Post said...

Hopefully, spring rains will come to your land soon. In the mean time, you have your grounds looking so very nice. I try to imagine what it might be like to sit with you late in the evening and watch your darling little Texas critters come, one after the other, for a refreshing cool drink of water from your little pond.

Henny Penny said...

You really do have lots of wildlife to watch. It's so pretty there. Hopefully, we will have a little spring weather this week. Last night it was snowing at bedtime though!

Debra said...

I had to go past the snake photos a little bit faster than the flower photos!!!Even though he's a little scary, I'm still fascinated by all creatures. I do hope you get him to leave....The last photo is so lovely.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I enjoyed your tour and I eagerly await the Spring weather here. In Northern Indiana you would have to have fish in your little pond to eat the mosquito eggs that are left in any standing water, no matter how small. Even though it's harmless, that snake would creep me out!! For me, there is nothing more pleasant or relaxing than watching Nature , except stitching.
xx, Carol

Sally said...

It's starting to look very pretty at your home! We've had little showing of Spring; and I am so hoping the grasshoppers don't come back this year. It's disheartening to plant lovely things, and the hoppers eating the leaves. Ugh :)

Hope you have a good week!

xoxo

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

I'm hoping for the sunny days to return. Right now, it is rain, rain and more rain...not to my liking, but good for our pond and grass as last year we went into a drought. Your yard is looking great and I love the pond and yes, you sure do need to relocate that snake because he will find little chicks a tasty treat. Have a great restof the week!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

So nice to see your lovely flowers blooming, Kathleen, and how wonderful to be able to enjoy your coffee outdoors. We really miss being able to do that living in the apt now. We do have a table by the window and watch life on the Nashua River so that helps a bit. That snake would make me uncomfortable, harmless or not and hope it is relocated soon.

letslearnembroidery said...

It's summer over here and the temperature is soaring. I am glad the snake is harmless.