"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands........" 1 Thessalonians 4:11

Sunday, February 26, 2017

Sometimes, the best decisions.......hurt the most...........

as most of you who read my blog know.........this is Homer.  He was dropped on me over a year ago.
Since then, I feed and taken care of him........as best I can.............and he is such a sweet gentle cat........and a good mouser.
Homer does not get along with other cats.  So he cannot come inside of my home because my other two cats are house cats.  Along with Homer.......someone dropped a female cat on me as well.  Of course Homer went for her like Romeo.  I took Homer to the vet in January to get him neutered.
I had mentioned to the vet clinic staff that he had been dropped on me.  The next day when I went to pick Homer up, the receptionist told me that everyone there at the clinic just loved Homer and if I did not want to keep him, they would give him a good home.  
I appreciated her telling me this, but rejected the offer because I have fallen in love with Homer.
However...................... 


although it stopped his spraying and moaning after the female........it did not stop his aggression towards other cats.
A few days ago.........Taboo.........my inside tom cat......accidentally slipped out of the door and ran out to the back yard. In an instant Homer attacked him and had him pinned on the ground by his throat. I like to have never gotten them separated.   
Then again, the other day, Taboo slipped out when my husband opened the door. I was quick enough to grab up Taboo.........but Homer was so furious to see him........that he jumped onto Sophie's back........my dog........and attacked her.  I pulled him off. 
Not only is the aggression worrying me.........it is now rattlesnake time and I always worry about Homer getting bit.  He also has to sleep out with the chickens at night to stay safe.
So I made the hard decision and called my vet's office.  They remembered Homer quite well and told me to bring him in...........they would love to have him.
I felt blue the whole day after giving Homer away.  I let a day pass and just could not take the 
worry any longer and called the vets office to see if Homer was doing okay.  The receptionist told me that he has quite a winning personality.........grabbing at everyone as they walk by............playing.......loving to be petted and held.........and eating well.  He will now have a comfortable , safe home, at the vets office........being king of his new kingdom. 
I feel better about this decision.........but still slight regret lingers in my heart. 

The female I mentioned earlier............well.........I did not get Homer neutered quick enough.......
she is now going to have Homer's kittens.  She is scared and at first would not come to me. Now she comes and allows me to sit and watch her eat..........but I cannot touch her..........yet.
As much as I do not want her around.........I cant take her to a pound.  Several people have giving me numbers for places to call to take her..............but they all refer the pound........where she will be put down I am sure.
So I am now trying to tame her..........so that she can have her kittens here.......and I can make sure they are tame and try to find homes for all of them .
I have named this cat Belle...........but I still do not want to keep her and I cannot afford a spay bill. I am hoping I can find someone who will take her after her kittens are weaned.
And even though, I know that Homer will always have a safe , warm and happy home.........
my heart still hurts for him . He is dearly missed and probably will always be....... 
All I can say to anyone.............please don't drop your animals on someone else. It only makes more problems for them and for the animal you drop.
If  you keep your animals........please, please......spay or neuter!
by the way............does anyone want a kitten in about 10 weeks??


14 comments:

Terra said...

How sad for all the kitties out there who don't have homes, and how good you were there for Homer and now for Belle. It sounds like Homer is having a grand time in his new home. Our cat showed up in our yard several years ago and now she lives with us.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

You did the best thing for Homer. He is one happy and safe cat. Our area has a feral cat program. You can take your cat to a clinic to be fixed at very little charge, like $25. My SIL has two cats she has taken into her home and several outside that she has had neutered and she feeds them, though they live outside. Feral cats are a problem everywhere. Good luck with your mother and the future kitties. Hopefully you will find homes for them.
xx, Carol

Nancy J said...

Our vet clinic has a resident cat too, he welcomes everyone, is so well looked after, and is safe there. A hard decision, but for Homer the best one. New kittens soon, just as well I am so far away or I would say yes. All our cats have been adopted from the SPCA, or have found our place and adopted us!!! Luckily the ginger boys who stayed have been gentle, apart from Boris, who arrived at about 5 weeks old, ( will be 2 in April) from nowhere, and he attacks Felicity who is 18 plus!!! Nothing we do makes any difference at all. And he is ginger too. Have good memories of the time that Homer stayed with you, the care you gave, a safe home with the chickens at night, and know he will be happy at his new home. XXX

Henny Penny said...

I too, think that you made the right decision with Homer, you have a kind heart. Hope you can tame the cat expecting kittens and find homes for them. It's awful how people drop off cats and dogs. Our three cats were all thrown out (at different times) by the roadside when they were kittens and we found them. It breaks my heart.

Laurie said...

Our vet office has always had a resident dog or cat, usually both. They are so pampered and loved, and they are there til they cross the rainbow bridge. You made the right decision, it would have been tragic for him or your other animals. I totally agree, people need to start fixing their pets. And as one who has had so many cats dropped off, (two of our cats are from a feral mother) it's hard to let them go. God Bless You for helping them out!

Debra said...

Oh Homer is adorable-I can see why your heart aches for him-but I think you did right by him -he is getting all the attention now-which maybe was why he was aggressive...I wish I could take some kittens!

Connie said...

Aw, hugs to you, Kathleen. You have such a good heart. I know this was a difficult decision for you to have to make, but it really is for the best. I think Homer will be happy at the vets' office. Good luck with finding homes for Belle and her kittens.

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

For some reason people think that those in the country just love to get more cats and dogs. I do not understand it. The really bad thing is, most people are not as kind and tender hearted as you are. And so many of these helpless animals starve or are a meal for a larger animal. Makes me sad.

The cat who belongs next door does not stay in his house either. He prefers to be outside and makes trouble if they try to keep him in. So far, he has managed to survive very nicely. I hope he stays safe. I like him.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

As hard as it was for you to take Homer to the vet's office, under the circumstances it was best for him and for Taboo as well and ultimately for yourself as well. No longer will you have to worry about Homer being outdoors in the elements and possibly flling prey to predators. And, this way you can also check up on him.

Granny Marigold said...

I hope you will be able to find a home for Belle and her kittens once they are old enough to be adopted out. It must have been so hard to take Homer to his new home but at least he sounds happy there.

Sherri Farley said...

You did a good thing. We live near a creek that is a favorite dumping spot for animals. It makes me so angry!!! Hopefully the kitties will find good homes quickly.

Sally said...

Although it was a difficult decision, I'm glad Homer is happy! Yes, I agree about pets being dropped off, it's most inhumane to say the least. Hopefully, you'll find homes for Belle and her babies. xoxo

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

I sure hope Homer will have a good home. I know how you miss him. I also love animals and have a soft place in my heart for abandoned animals.

KathyB. said...

Homer sounds like a winner. He had you to love him and now another place that loves him. I completely understand your dilemma. Your other pets cannot have their lives endangered either. Sounds like the kind of decision a loving owner would choose, to give their beloved cat the best home possible.

Kittens ! I love kittens, I think even though you'll be finding new homes for them, their mama will be better off too. Maybe you could charge a nominal fee for the kittens' adoption, ask the vet to give you discounted coupons for the kittens' neuter & spay and vaccinations, and thusly afford to spay the mama too.