"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands........" 1 Thessalonians 4:11

Monday, November 21, 2016

The days have still been pleasant enough to take long walks


and to see many creatures enjoying the 

warm sunshine.....
this spider is amazingly large.....
and to me..........looks like it stepped out of  a
Tim Burton movie.......don't you think? 
This is a Golden Orb Weaver and is not harmful. 


The last of my flowers........one is the ..Butterfly Weed........
is certainly living up to it's name

it is attracting many butterflies

as is the morning glory     

and Chrysanthemum 



and it is still warm enough to bring out what I am not fond of

these past few weeks rattlesnakes have been everywhere .......
on the patio, on the front porch, in my flower beds......at my shop steps

and a den was in our storage shed.  They certainly make me nervous.
Yet they have their own beauty.

Now......let me introduce you to my newest hobby adventure...........
Gus and Tex
(GUS)

I have been wanting to raise miniature chickens for a while. As you read in my last post
my old rooster died.  I have 3 regular size hens left .......
and now I have found these wonderful tiny roosters..........they are only 10 inches tall
They are Wheaten Old English Bantams 


(TEX)
I love they way they sound when they crow........almost like a squeak toy.
I bought these at a flea market........they are a year old.  The lady who was selling them did not have any hens left.............so she is supposed to have hens for me next month. 
Now Thanksgiving is upon us.  
Here's wishing you many wonderful things to be thankful for on your Thanksgiving day .......
and every day beyond that!
For each new morning with its light,
For rest and shelter of the night,
For health and food, for love and friends,
For everything Thy goodness sends.
Father in heaven, we thank Thee!
Ralph Waldo Emerson


9 comments:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Hi K
I had to get my ruler out to actually SEE how tall your roosters are. Terry is the country half or our couple and raised Banty roosters. Not sure if there IS a Banty rooster but that's what he calls them. He would LOVE these minies. He ALWAYS comments that he wants to raise chickens. I remind him that is not possible with out Boxer or Pit Bull/Boxer mix.

Happy Thanksgiving.
xx, Carol

Debra said...

Your photos are truly amazing!!!The spider is awesome. I have to say though that the snake actually gave me the shivers! I cannot imagine living with them that close and all over!!!! But you are right-they do have a sort of beauty...ah hem-I'm trying to see it!!
Happy Thanksgiving dear friend!

Debbie said...

I sure do enjoy your pictures. I don't mind snakes if I notice them before I get right on top of them. I've heard that familiar rattle before. Don't have to worry about that here in central Illinois. Those are some of the prettiest roosters I've ever seen. You've still got some green there. The last few nights of 20's has finished off all the plants we enjoyed in a long summer and Fall. On to winter! Wishing you a Happy Thanksgiving Kathleen!

lil red hen said...

Isn't it amazing how nature protects things with the patterns on them? For instance, the butterfly seems to have big eyes that would scare off predators and the snake's colors blend in with the dirt around it. Wow! I'd freak out if I got that close to a snake like that! Your flowers are still so pretty ~ we've finally had a killing frost so nothing very pretty to view here except a few leaves. God bless you Thanksgiving Day, and the poem is perfect!

Sherri Farley said...

I always enjoy your critters, even the rattler has beauty, but I am always watchful of snakes. We have poisonous copperheads here in the Ozarks, very colorful. I love your roosters, so handsome. Will you eventually have tiny eggs from the hens? Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

Connie said...

I enjoyed your lovely photos. You always share such beautiful images. Those snakes though, would scare me to death. Please be careful out there. Wishing you a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Henny Penny said...

Such a beautiful post! So glad I didn't miss it. I post about big rat snakes in our chicken house and they scare me. I cannot even imagine seeing a rattlesnake. Oh my goodness! The little roosters are so cute. Ten inches high sounds tiny! Happy Thanksgiving!

Granny Marigold said...

What a lovely new adventure has begun with your miniature roosters. I imagine you need a vermin-proof enclosure for them. With snakes around for sure.
Have a wonderful and blessed Thanksgiving.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Kathleen, and your photos show many things in nature to be thankful for, except those rattlesnakes, which gave me the shivers. It's good that you can recognize them and show several to us. The roosters are beautiful and can't wait to see the hens, but wondering anout the size of eggs. The poem is a lovely thought for a special day.