"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands........" 1 Thessalonians 4:11

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Everyone............no matter who............or what........

should have a new dress and hat for the spring season......
don't  you think??
this is true for my scarecrow Gertrude. She has weathered the hottest , stinging, raging wind in the spring and summer, and the most frigid bone tree limb chilling winter and never once let herself to be blown down. 
She has guarded my garden well........
so off with the floppy hat and on with a new sassy one with a rose.

A floral printed vest.............

and a pretty spring green  summer dress with buttons down the front.
All which I bought  at a thrift store. 

and now she standing among the flowers.......fresh and pretty

With her taken care of, I then put my hoe and rake to work.........
preparing the grounds for planting.........

trying to make the rows as straight as possible........

with the Sophie overlooking my progress.

I have planted, black eyed peas,  cantaloupe, onions, tomatoes, 
and yes............you all know...........
zinnias and pumpkins.
I need to fix fences to hopefully ward off the large rats that have moved in on us, as well as the hungry rabbits.
How about you?
Are you planting a garden this year?
Do you have a scarecrow?
I would love to hear!
Here's wishing you all , a very happy Mother's Day!


10 comments:

Nancy J said...

Kathleen, I am inspired by your summer outfit on the old crow, beautiful floral, crochet hat, maybe to celebrate Mother's Day there in the garden too. All warmest wishes to you from down here, Hugs, Jean.

Sherri Farley said...

Gertrude has a great hat! Happy Mother's Day to you.

Connie said...

Gertrude is lovely! So fashionable. :D

Happy Mother's day, Kathleen! I hope you have a beautiful day.

Susan McShannon-Monteith said...

I hope you have enjoyed your Mother's Day Kathleen.
I can't think of a better way to spend the day then out amidst the garden and the flowers.
I love cantaloupe and use it in a lovely jam.
I've just planted tomatoes and herbs but they must be covered at night still because it gets rather cool this far north.
I think your scarecrow miss is the best dressed one I've seen...
Susan x

lil red hen said...

So glad to see Gertrude wearing a new dress and hat! Now there's no mistaking who's guarding your garden. In times past I've had a couple guarding the pecan tree.

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Gertrude is lovely in her new outfit and you are a marvel! That garden looks great, and I know how much work that took!

Dreaming of Vintage said...

Kathleen, I love your scarecrow, so cute! The hubby wants to grow his vegetable garden this year. I take care of the flowers and he takes care of the veggies.

Hill Top Post said...

Gertrude just may be the best dressed scarecrow in Texas! And she is a lucky one to be surrounded by all those beautiful prairie flowers.

KathyB. said...

Sister Scarecrow has a very creative and hard-working mistress ! You get so much done and grow such a bountiful garden there is what seems arid land. I know it takes a lot of work but you show it all with love. I hope you do get that fence up soon !

A Colorful World said...

Your scarecrow in her new finery is just wonderful! Love the garden! And I hope you also had a wonderful Mother's Day!