"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands........" 1 Thessalonians 4:11

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Waiting For Blooms

The bare, brown, dirt grounds, are starting to fill
with the vibrant green leaves of the pumpkin and decorative gourds.
The leaves are already as large as regular dinner plates. This is one of my favorite times of the spring/summer season.

The flower beds that surround the house are starting to bring forth the flowers that I have recently planted seed in . This rock bed is hosting a large amount of marigold and I look forward to seeing the rust and orange colors of the blooms that will last throughout fall.


The large zinnia flower garden is now planted and I am anticipating the flowers to start sprouting. This year, instead of planting long rows, I decided to plant large "blocks" of flowers with paths in between. I love a flower bed where flower seed has been scattered and where the flowers grow in carefree clusters. This is what I am hoping to achieve this year with the blocks. The paths will also help me in dragging the hose to water, without knocking plants over. In the top of this photo, you will see a large wooden crate. My husband brought this home from work.........well made for shipping heavy machine parts in .............and then thrown away.............it is perfect for where I have planted climbing roses, which are now blooming...........and which I hope will cascade over the edges of this crate later on.



In between the rose bushes, zinnia are already growing and showing off their colorful blooms.
Meanwhile........................




in my stitching basket.................a set of morning glories are waiting to be stitched and to bloom on a set of towels...........you can go over to my embroidery blog to read about my frustration in not having enough time it seems to stitch .................like I used to ...............
at Yesteryear Embroideries http://yesteryearembroideries.blogspot.com
How about you? What is sprouting and blooming in your garden spots or surroundings? I would love to hear!






12 comments:

Unknown said...

Your stitchery is going to be beautiful ... you gardens soon to be full!

Have a lovely summer's eve ~
TTFN ~ Hugs, Marydon

Connie said...

I hope your blocks of flowers do well for you, Kathleen. Your embroidery work is beautiful! I'm sure since you are working now that it is hard to find time to do all the things you were doing before. It is that way for me too. I love zinnias. They are such a cheerful, carefree flower.

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Well, Kathleen, everything looks pretty over your way! We're hot here, guess you are, too. We've got tomatoes, cucumbers a few banana peppers, and the figs are getting ripe. Love it!

Grammyof13 said...

Your garden is vibrant - and promising. It sounds like you have planned it so well, to have flowers year round. I enjoy the pictures.

Blessings,
Doris

Anonymous said...

oh, i just hope my neighbor is watering my little plants while i am gone

:-)

Vintage Linen Treasures said...

I was going to comment on your pumkins and flowers and garden. Then all my thoughts flew out the window when I saw your embroidery!!
OOOOooo!! Love the morning glory flowers. BEAUTIFUL!
Patricia :o)

Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

Kathleen everything is looking wonderful..I like the idea of using the cast away...it looks great..wish I had a couple of them :o)...Glad to see you blogging..I sure miss your antics ..I've been busy here too seems it has become canning time for me :o).Ginny

Bev C said...

Hello Kathleen,
Just love the idea of your flowerbeds. It will be interesting to see the growth over the next couple of months. We have had frosts here the last couple of mornings,thus we have had frozen veggies!!!
Hope you get sometime to do your embroidery.
Happy days.
Bev.xoxo

Vickie said...

Hi Kathleen! Your zinnias are going to be beautiful like last year! I set out some this spring, but they really didn't do very well. Not sure why... maybe they're better in the cooler months. I was going to set out some pumpkin seeds, too. Do you think they'll be ready for Halloween time?

I've been canning and freezing, and most of my veggie garden is about fizzled, but I'm going to replant purple hull peas and green beans. Still have some tomatoes left, and the watermelons are just about ready. My garden does a little better every year - maybe I'm learning something after all!

Nancy M. said...

I'll bet the flowers will be gorgeous! It's great that you could reuse the wooden box!

Julie Harward said...

A good thing to wait on...and I love your stitching, very pretty! :D

Sunny said...

Beautiful morning glory embroidery, Kathleen. I can relate to your frustration. Just this year I am able to do some long-overdue painting and quilting. Your gardens will be lovely and I'm sure you will get even more inspiration from it.