"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands........" 1 Thessalonians 4:11

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Transplanted

A few years back, on a beautiful golden first day of fall..................we moved into our country home. Along with all of our belongings, I also brought rosebushes, and other flowering plants that had grown at our home in town.......................
and transplanted them out here in the country grounds. One was this trumpet vine, which at that time was a small twig.................and that is how it has remained for many of the years that it has lived out here. It just didn't seem to want to live the country life. It has stayed so small and not flowering, that I put a tomato cage around it for protection from the mower that runs by.However, I never gave up on it, always taking care of it.......................... this year, it has decided that change is good and it has taken off, growing inch by inch and now shows off it's lovely trumpet bloom.

To me, this vine and my sweet husband are so much alike...................they had the same idea about country living. It took me almost 20 years to convince my husband that country living was the only way to live. He would not listen....................so I made myself happy in the cement square we lived on in town. Making the best out of the small yard that surrounded our house and trying to be happy in my noisy, unsettling surroundings, and never giving up on him. Finally, .........................he started looking at houses out in the country with me.................and then we found......................... here................Pleasant Prairie............as I have named it. Now.........he thinks it is the only way to live!

I planted the trumpet vine at the base of this large iron horse fence that surrounds our home.............

I can just imagine it stretched out all across it in it's crimson orange trumpets.............can't you? (This plant always reminds me of the old botanical books with lovely pictures of plants in them.) Yet, I completely understand my dear husband's hesitation................if I had to leave this place and live in the city...........I don't think I could ever get to liking the idea...................
How about you? Have you been transplanted to something you were not sure about? How did you feel? I would love to hear!




13 comments:

Connie said...

Your trumpet vine is pretty, Kathleen. I know what you mean about being transplanted. It always takes some time and some getting used to when you come into a new environment. I'm glad to hear you were able to convince your husband to try the country life. :)

LindaSue said...

I shudder every time my DH mentions "when we downsize" 'cause to me that sounds like a patio townhouse with neighbors a thin wall away! I LOVE our country place and it is hard for my heart to even think of moving - it'll happen some day - but not tomorrow!

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

I've been transplanted several times in my life and even now - I'm ready to go again. Not that I don't love Muddle Manor. I do. But change is good, too.

Linda said...

What a beautiful bloom. I'm happy your DH and your lovely vine are flourishing and are content at Praire Plains....I think I would be too. I'm one of the rare people who have lived in the same place all my life....different homes, but all within a 10mile radius. Have a great weekend...hugs, Linda

Jennifer said...

I've been transplanted over & over again in the past several years - Army life will do that to you.

Just wanted to say hi. Can't remember how I found your blog but I really enjoy reading it.

Much love from an overseas Army wife,
Jennifer
www.ourjennericlife.com

Nancy M. said...

Glad it's starting to do better! We liked the city okay when we were very young. But, now with kids, the country is so much safer and you just feel freer!

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

Kathleen,
I love your trumpet vine. What a great place to plant it. I'm so glad you convinced your husband to move to the country. You have a lovely place. It looks so peaceful.

Julie Harward said...

They do grow like crazy and I just love them! Transplanting is good for us and them! Come say hi :D

Jody Blue said...

It is indeed very pretty. We plan to move back to the country when the last one of our kids leaves home, I do look forward to it.

KathyB. said...

Your trumpet vine and husband analogy are so touching.You are a wise wife to have learned early to be content with where God placed you, under your husband's leadership and love. God answered your prayers for that home in the country in His time, and maybe soon the Trumpet Vine will follow suit!

BTW, our son-in-law has planted Trumpet Vines in BIG clay pots in the sunshine, ~and you know sunshine is iffy around here~ they grew enormous the first year, and last year too. Trumpet Vines are very dramatic and beautiful, aren't they?

Conni said...

Beautiful trumpet vine! I'm glad you were able to coax it into blooming and growing.

Ardith said...

I am a transplant from Washington State to Missouri and now Oklahoma! I consider it all an adventure and love it! I see your trumpet vines all over around here.......I thought they were honeysuckles. Is that wrong? Love your Blogspot.

Anonymous said...

The trumpet vine is lovely. I love vines anyway and the way the curve up and over to make something appear less stark. Nice story about going to the country.