"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands........" 1 Thessalonians 4:11

Monday, January 11, 2010

Mirella Has Done It Again!

In my November 1, 2009 post, I told you about the Aloe Vera plant, I call Mirella, who bloomed last year and who also has quite a large family. Well.............
she's done it again!.......
Towards the beginning of December of 2009, I noticed she produced a stalk, with once again a cluster of buds. With this being the first year with the heater in the greenhouse.........I just wanted to wait before I announced this...........
Along the past few weeks, the buds have gotten larger.............

and now they have opened up. This looks about as big as it is going to open up. If the temperature and weather were warmer, it might open a little larger. I just love this color, don't you?



Also........my tomatoes are blooming! If you remember from my recent posts, this was one of my "greenhouse goals" for the winter. Now if I can actually get tomatoes on the vines...........I will be ecstatic! I have more news and photos of the greenhouse, but will save all of that for a later post. Hope this finds all of you readers/bloggers, staying warm!



23 comments:

Together We Save said...

I am so jealous....tomatoes in the winter!!

Nancy M. said...

How awesome! It's so nice to see something blooming in this cold weather!

Vickie said...

Wow, Kathleen! I'm so excited for you! Success in your little greenhouse! Are these tomatoes to be grown in the greenhouse, or are you going to set them out later? Congrats!

Julie Harward said...

That is sweet! Many people here have green houses because we have long cold winter/spring's and the summer growing season is short! :D

Cgirl said...

What a beautiful pick-me-up your Aloe Vera blossoms are on a cold day. Thank you for sharing.

Connie said...

Hurray! Your greenhouse is working! That's wonderful news that your plants are thriving there. :)

peggy said...

Now I want a greenhouse too. I'm no familiar with that plant but it is really beautiful, even in bud. And tomato blossoms...way to go Kathleen!

Paula said...

That's wonderful, Kathleen! Sounds like the greenhouse is a success!

TxFarmhouse said...

Now you've gone and done it! You make me want a greenhouse!

Mel said...

That is splendid, I have never heard of an Aloe Vera budding out. Sure is beautiful!

Oh, how I dream of my own green house maybe one day... For now, I'll just peek in at yours.

Blessings,
Mel

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

It's wonderful to be getting fresh tomatoes in winter. I know you must be really enjoying your greenhouse. The aloe plant sure is lovely. Nothing like plants to lift a person's spirit in winter.

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Good for you, Kathleen! How wonderful to actually have something growing and producing in this cold weather!!!

Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

Boo Hoo! I want a Greenhouse too!
Everything is growing so nicely in yours ..who wouldn't want some fresh tomatoes from their own winter garden, and the blooms are an inspiration...Keep it up Kathleen, your doing wonders..Ginny

Kelly said...

What a treat both the aloe and tomatoes. Fresh tomatoes will taste so good in winter!

KathyB. said...

I have a lot of very big and thick aloe veras, but none have ever bloomed. I did not know they bloomed, wow! Maybe when we finally get our greenhouse built and my plants moved in I will get to see this miracle first hand.

Tipper said...

Makes me wish I had a green house : )

Julie said...

Oh, Miss Kathleen!
You just have a touch! Seriously!
I was thinking, as I read this post, that maybe you could sell little "spawns" (is that the term I'm looking for?) of Mirella at the Farmer's Market? You could make up little tags with your farms name (BTW "Pleasant Prairie Farm" is soooooo sweet!) and on the back of the tag, you could write some of the uses/benefits of aloe plants.

And, girl, you already have tomato plants growing???? You are really just too much!

The picture of your "gingerbread" leaves is just gorgeous! I've NEVER seen that happen before! You are sooooo right, they look just like gingerbread...it makes me want to go bake some, right now, actually.....

Oh! And I L-O-V-E that book! I'm taking notes....I'm taking notes!

Many Blessings,
Julie

DayPhoto said...

Lovely! I've never seen a aloe vera bloom, except on your blog. Pretty darn amazing.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

grammy said...

Wow
winter tomatoes
the plant is awesome

The imPerfect Housewife said...

I would LOVE to see pics of your greenhouse!! That's so awesome to have fresh veggies in the wintertime. You're too good ~ ♥

Farmhouse Blessings said...

Amazing! I'm so excited for you.

Smiles, Lea

Conni said...

Mirella is a beautiful and clever girl!

I'm eagerly looking forward to more posts on your greenhouse!

Lanny said...

Way cool!!