"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands........" 1 Thessalonians 4:11

Saturday, December 27, 2008

Back From My Break!

Hi everyone! I am back from my Christmas break and hope this finds that all of you had a wonderful holiday. For all of you still under snow and freezing weather, I hope you soon "thaw out"! We were blessed to not have ice or snow this Christmas.
The days leading up to Christmas were pleasant. So much in fact, that the chickens were able to get out and roam the grounds. The fish pond was not frozen over and the fish came up eager to get something to eat.

Jerimiah, was half asleep, but enjoying the warmer weather.


Abby, as well as the other cats ,enjoyed rolling in the dry warm dirt and grass.

Hercules was able to sit in his outside pen instead of being closed up in the shed.

Although the weather has been pleasant, we need moisture in any form.We have not gotten any rain since early summer. Everything that grew so well last year, will not come up in spring if we do not get a snow or rain. That is the biggest problem about living in Texas. Today for example, the wind is roaring outside, blowing all of the dirt from the dry barren fields.

But along the grounds I can find signs of hope and whispers that spring will not be too far away. The Italian Jasmine is putting on it's green leaves and will have bright yellow blossoms by January.

The stock flower, which is one of the toughest flowers to survive all year through the worst west Texas climate, is crisp and green. By February, it will be covered in purple fragrant blossoms. As the dry earth crunches beneath my feet, it's these little promises from nature that make me keep hope. Do any of you have any kind of flowers or plants that hang on through the winter? I would love to hear!








16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kathleen, We missed you! I have noticed a few daffodils trying to come up after a few weeks of warm temps and rain. Probably in January, the Forsythia will bloom too. I have several Christmas Roses (Helleborous) that are getting ready to bloom also. I love them in their shades of purple, lavender, green and white.

Anna Colleen said...

Welcome back. we are finally thawing out, my older sister let the ducks out for the first time in tow weeks they are happy, I hope you get some rain soon.

Connie said...

Kathleen, I really liked seeing all your animals enjoying the warmer weather. I especially like the photo of Jeremiah. He looks so content sitting there like he's the king of all he sees. HA! I hope you get some precipitation soon. :)

Vickie said...

Hi Kathleen - glad you had a good holiday. We did, too. I'm at least 5 lbs more than I was before Christmas. Ugh.

As far as flowers, the pansies are okay, as usual, at this time of year. With our 70's and near 80's temps the last couple of weeks, some of my tulips are trying to come up. The first blooms we'll see are the Jane Magnolia (or tulip tree) blooming with the daffodils and narcissus. Our forsythia will be blooming 'fore too long, too.

I'm ready for spring. I don't much like January and February! TTYL

Irma's Rose Cottage said...

Hi Kathleen, so great to catch up and see all that I had been missing. Loved your Christmas song and the pics were fabulous!
Hope you had a great Christmas.

Hugs :)
Irma

KathyB. said...

Wow Kathleen, to see a frog around here in the winter would be quite amazing. The ice is thawing though. We have so many evergreen plants around here that I don't miss flowers much, and the snowberries with their white berries are pretty.

There is a cold rain outside right now and I don't think the animals will sun bathing any time soon , so it is fun to see your critters enjoying balmy weather.

Tipper said...

It's been unusually warm here this Christmas-I like it to be cold for the holidays-oh well. We have at least been getting rain-which we too need.

My first flower to bloom is usually my Linten Roses-not really roses but small shrub like flowers. They can bloom as early as February-even here where it does get pretty cold and you can't really be safe to plant much until May for fear of a late frost.

Lisa @ Life with 4! said...

It's good to have you back, I've been on a little break from the computer also.
Our snow is gone but the rain has now moved in... the Pacific NW... it's gotta be wet!
So my critters are still cooped up, hopefully we'll get a nice day soon so they can all get out and enjoy some sunshine!
as for flowers, I'm anxiously awaiting my early spring crocus that is planted along the edge of the front yard. Probably won't be until Feb. though.

Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

Hi Kathleen, glad your back posting , I missed you!....Things around here are sleeping for the Winter..My peach tree looked like it wanted to bloom out a few weeks back, but I'm glad it went back to sleep...Only thing here my Gardenia's stay green + my collards and mustards on the side of the house are still hanging on!
Ginny

Kathy said...

I haven't been out visiting in a while and wanted to stop in and say hello, see what you have been up to. Wishing you a bright and happy new year!

Anonymous said...

Welcome back, dear Kathleen! I will be praying for rain. Did you get any rain this weekend? We had quite a downpour in Dallas on Saturday morning. Please tell us about your Christmas holidays!

Nancy M. said...

I love seeing the pictures of your animals. Glad Christmas was nice for y'all!

Flower said...

Yes, I have heard of your warm Christmas! Water is not a shortage here....the melt off alone is causing quite a few puddles! Wish we could help you out with some of it!!

Patty H. said...

We are just now getting into winter, so probly won't see anythign til March/April

Cora from Hidden Riches said...

Glad to see you back! Loved all the pictures! It's warm here in Florida, too, and birds and animals are lovin' it!

We are low on rain here, like you are. Not the old Florida I used to know years ago when we got showers just about every day. Now we worry about wells drying up, etc.

Cora

Wish on a Whisker said...

~Love the pictures of your precious animals! So sweet! My best wishes for a Happy New Year!~ ~Mandy