"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands........" 1 Thessalonians 4:11

Saturday, September 6, 2008

A new year for me

Although New Year's is celebrated in January, I celebrate my new year on my birthday, which is tomorrow. I think about what I would like to accomplish and how I would like to make the year doing something new or worthwhile.
Sophie and I take our usual walks, but I decided this morning that I will walk every morning of this year, even if it is 20 degrees!(we will soon see, how I will change my mind on that{:) but also I will make sure to take my camera to capture what nature brings to us on these walks.
The pumpkins are off to a slow start this year, however, at least I am getting some! The weather was so bad in spring. I have also decided that I will plant something new this year and I will start an outside project and get it done by this time next year. I am now pondering on what that project will be.... there is so much potential here on the grounds. I have a section of ground that has an arbor that my sweetie made. I am thinking about scattering blue bonnet seed over this whole section. This portion of grounds can be seen from our large dining room window. What a lovely sight it would be to see it all in blue and white blossoms.

The new item I planted this year was different types of gourds, which I have just loved the outcome! There are so many different and unusual types that have come up for me! Sweetie suggested I plant these gourds around the arbor he made. The leaves would make a great shade for the arbor. I think I will try that this coming year.

I really should have waited to pull these a few weeks later, but just had to have a few to decorate my table with. I also plan to catch up on reading my garden books and learning how to make the soil better here. How about you? Do you have any projects you have been wanting to try? I would love to hear.




11 comments:

Connie said...

I hope you have a wonderful birthday tomorrow, Kathleen. What a lovely tradition to make goals for yourself each year on your birthday. I wish you the best of luck on achieving those goals. :)

Lanny said...

I love to use September as my other New Year. In fact it is more a time of complete evaluation and planning for the next full year than January. January in my book is more of a check on how my new plans are going. Have a terrific birthday month.

I agree with the gourds on the arbor. My daughter has four livestock pannels that span a 4x10+ concrete slab in a long hoop. She planted gourds on it, very cool to walk through a tunnel of leaves with the gourds hanging down.

Chris said...

Kathleen, looks like a fun walk with Sophie! That bottleneck (?) gourd is spectacular; they're all pretty. The year I grew gourds I was constantly amazed at their shapes & colors.

I have been wanting to try a knot garden. I've been trying to figure out where to put it. Maybe this fall....

Jen's Farmily said...

That IS a really neat gourd! They'll make great centerpieces!

As for the walking, I usually take our dog for a walk when I get home from work, and during the winter, it's hard to bundle up enough! But that's a great goal to have. Especially taking pictures!

Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

What a nice country lane to take a walk ...and the goal you set for yourself is a healthy one....it will add years to your life....
and so HAPPY BIRTHDAY and many more.....Ginny

Patty H. said...

Hi, happy birthday tomorrow!

Tipper said...

Happy Birthday to you!! A very neat way to look at the new year.

Paula said...

Happy Birthday, Kathleen!!! (A little late)
I hope you had a wonderful day...
I didn't see you tell how many birthdays this makes... LOL
I must have missed it. tee hee...

The gourds are beautiful!!

Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

Hi Kathleen,
just wanted you to know I gave you a blog award on my site today.:o) Ginny

Nancy M. said...

Happy Birthday Kathleen! What a wonderful idea to take your camera with you on your walks. You never know what beauty you may find. I have an award for you on my site!

Phill said...

What a wonderful plan! I do the same, but not on my birthday. Because I am in the North, and nothing much happens during Winter, each Fall I plan all the things I want to read and learn about for the next Spring. Usually centering around a project. So ... right now I am learning about different kinds of construction and how we might like to building our new little house.