"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands........" 1 Thessalonians 4:11

Friday, May 16, 2008

In the Garden

First of all, thank you all for stopping by to visit and to offer your advice when you leave your comments. I look forward to hearing from you. You all make my day! My greenhouse is getting bare, as all of the plants that have sprouted have now been transplanted to the garden. I left two tomato plants and a planter of lettuce in the greenhouse, however, for the winter months ahead. I am now going to plant more flower seed!!

The tomatoes are growing well. As I have posted earlier, I love green tomatoes as much as red tomatoes. So a lot of these will be picked soon! I will post my recipe for fried green tomatoes on My Country Kitchen blog at a later date.


I decided to try Anaheim peppers this year. I love to make chili rellenos and these peppers are wonderful for that.Do any of you like them? I fix them a little different..... a special recipe for my Sweetie. Again, I will later post the recipe for these on My Country Kitchen blog.

My pumpkins and decorative gourds have grown well. I can't wait to see the colors I come out with on this bunch. This is the first year for me to plant decorative gourds. Have any of you had any experience with these?

Doesn't look like much, but very soon pumpkin and gourd vines will have the whole ground covered. The white residue you see is flour. I have heard it is a good "organic" way too keep bugs off. I will soon know whether it works or not. Have any of you heard of this? Do you have any organic tips to pass along? The past few days has brought us much needed rain, which means, my needle and thimble will be put aside and I will be out working in the soft ground. I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!




7 comments:

Jen's Farmily said...

Yumm! I love fried green tomatoes!! I can't wait to see your recipe so I can try something different with them.

Our tomato plants are still very small so it'll be a while before we get anything off of them!

LindaSue said...

Oh my your plants are WAY ahead of my stuff - of course our bad hail storms set most of my garden back. No fabulous organic remedies for bugs here as I recall my grandpa used to hand pick off the bugs and squish them or put 'em into some alcohol. Those anaheims look yummy! You'll have the makings for some fabulous meals pretty soon. Let's see - peppers, tomatoes, chicken eggs? A little bit of cheese and torn up tortillas you've got migas the breakfast of champions.

Tipper said...

Your plants look great-way ahead of mine! I've heard sprinkling lime helps with the bugs-but I haven't tried it so I don't really know.

Love your pet pictures.

Phill said...

Your plants are doing awesome!! WAY ahead of the few things I planted. Confound this Northern new York growing season! Your plants look nice and tough and healthy too.

Connie said...

What a wonderful garden! Being able to grow your own food and watch the daily progress is one of life's best simple pleasures. :-)

Farmhouse Blessings said...

Your gardens look so promising. I hope to grow a little pumpkin patch my youngest boy this summer. We are so excited.

I've been told to use tobacco water as a spray on plants to deter bugs. Of course, homegrown tobacco without all the additives would be best. I haven't tried it yet, but I sure will if those bugs try to get my pumpkins!

Smiles,
Lea

If you get a chance, stop by for a visit on Monday. I'm hosting a little giveaway at my blog.

Paula said...

Wow, you are making some serious progress! Mmmm I can't wait until I can fry some green tomatoes...